Honored Contributor

Re: 😀66 Ways to Protect Your Privacy Right Now

I will check out the article, thanks @dooBdoo

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@dooBdoo...Thanks so much!...Windows 10 was just automatically downloaded to my computer yesterday...Should I download GPG4win (privacy guard) or will this cause any problems?...It is recommended, but I hear so many different things that can be confusing.

Whaaa?  I thought they stopped trying to force the upgrade of Win10 on people, in late July.

@chickenbutt...Well, it is September here...lol...and, when I started up my computer yesterday, Windows 10 started downloading...I don't want anything to do with Cortana, but I think my husband is somewhat interested!...I tried disabling her, but she is still hanging around...LOL

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wildflowers - I'm shocked, and glad I didn't delete the 'keep Win10 out' software on my Win7 & Win8.1 computers.    

I do have a new Win10 computer, but I don't like the idea of upgrading as it can mess up a lot of stuff.

Win10 is no picnic.  They take away a lot of user control and keeps corrupting softwares that I use. 

I hope the transition goes well!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @chickenbutt...Yes, I've heard various things about Windows 10, so I'm not really feeling very comfortable with it right now...As you mentioned, the "user control" issue is bothersome and I'm also concerned about the privacy issue...So. that's why I was asking about downloading GPG4win (privacy guard), but I'm not sure if that will just mess things up.

I may contact Dell Support and consult with them...I'm just not one that enjoys spending a lot of time with these technical issues that seem to be taking more and more control over our lives.

I'm tempted to just shut everything down and move away to a very remote place where life is so much more simpler....wherever that may be?...lol

Thanks so much for your input!...Time will tell! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@dooBdoo...Thanks so much!...Windows 10 was just automatically downloaded to my computer yesterday...Should I download GPG4win (privacy guard) or will this cause any problems?...It is recommended, but I hear so many different things that can be confusing.

Whaaa?  I thought they stopped trying to force the upgrade of Win10 on people, in late July.

@chickenbutt...Well, it is September here...lol...and, when I started up my computer yesterday, Windows 10 started downloading...I don't want anything to do with Cortana, but I think my husband is somewhat interested!...I tried disabling her, but she is still hanging around...LOL

@MyShadowLove @chickenbutt

I posted an article a while back in the Electronics Category of the Forum from one of those Geek Blogs that warned that they might extend the free offer for Windows 10 so don't delete GW Control Panel to prevent the download until they start charging for Win 10 ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Spurt!  Somehow I missed that.  

Just through my own paranoia (practicality? heh), I haven't felt comfortable getting rid of the GWCP.    Sneaky, they are.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@MyShadowLove@chickenbutt

I posted an article a while back in the Electronics Category of the Forum from one of those Geek Blogs that warned that they might extend the free offer so don't delete GW Control Panel until they start charging for it....

Thanks @Spurt...I'm back checking everything out to familiarize myself with some of the changes and to adjust some of my personal settings...So far, all seems to be running well.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting this article, dooBdoo! It is very timely for us, because we have decided to review our security just generally in our lives to see where and how we can improve it!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Marp@Buck-i-Nana@Moonchilde@chickenbutt@Lila Belle@MyShadowLove@Spurt@HappyDaze@Yardlie

You're welcome, and thanks for the posts and all the helpful info.   I'm just catching up on posts here.    I know so little when it comes to Windows-based PCs these days...   it's been too long since I worked with one but we have some incredibly knowledgeable and helpful posters here who always have great advice.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova