Respected Contributor

Re: 63 Sam’s Clubs Abruptly Closed Today

Yes, they are pulling out of Alaska. So is Sears.

Honored Contributor

We belong to both Costco and Sam's. I am so glad no Sam's near me is closing. I was just at Sam's today and yesterday. There is such a nice selection of food and things, I like to check out the different stores. We went to one Sam's last week, another Sam's yesterday and another Sam's today.

I am sorry to hear they are closing stores.

I worked in retail for Disney. It was unheard of for anyone but a Manager to get a bonus. And they got very nice bonuses. Our manager got two decks and two pools (she moved) with her bonuses. Glad to hear that Walmart is giving out bonuses and pay raises.

Trusted Contributor

I hope they get around to refunding everyone who has a membership which doesn't really come cheap especially if you have a business membership.  That's going to be a big amount they are going to have to cough up.  If there was still time on a membership, I wouldn't just let them keep that money yet who do you go to if their doors are shut! 

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot, The Sams employees got raises too plus the bonus as well. I feel terrible for the people who lost their jobs especially those that husband and wife work at the same Sams. 

Honored Contributor

I worked in the oil industry for over 30 years and employees were not given any notice at all for fear of tampering with computer, stealing or destroying files, or death threats. Sams officials probably didn't want the employees inside the building when laid off. It is so very sad when people lose their jobs.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper I was just coming to post this too.  Here is an article which also includes all of the stores impacted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

yes, as WalMart announces raises for WalMart employees,

Even with a raise, Walmart should be ashamed paying employees so low.  Had no idea it was that low.  I hope they give decent benefits to make up for it.

I worked part time for 8 weeks. My starting hour!y was $11.30. I worked as a jewe!ry associate. We were required to work the shoes, accessories (purses,wallets,watches,umbrellas,hats,scarfs) and jewelry (pierce ears, change watch batteries, size watch bands, send out rings for sizing and change watch bands). Also, we were in charge of the perfume area. We rang up sales. We needed to walk a customer to the area where the items were located. We unpacked and hung shoes. We swept floors when we were done with the unpacking. Many times we were left alone to run the entire department. There were so many jobs associated with the job title Jewe!ry Sales Associate. 

The turnover was high. The theft was very high. They have very little regard for their employees. I was happy to leave. IMHO the pay and management were inadequate.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie, I worked for Hallmark for a few months and one of my stores was Walmart. What a lot of the employees hated was if it was a slow day, they’d send employees home which meant less hours for them. I remember one girl would worry about her bills and rightfully so. 

Trusted Contributor

I wonder what will happen to Rx that people have on file.  You go to another pharmacy to request a transfer but how will this happen when their doors are closed? What a mess. 

Esteemed Contributor

I work at the Sams store but not for Sams. I was worried they were going to be on the list. Monday when I went to work the jewelry department was gone. 

Honored Contributor

@qvcfreak, that is so wrong of Walmart.  A shortened day but the same travel expense for that less income day.

If it wasn't for the fact that it would effect the number of employees, I wouldn't shop there.

@qvcfreak wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie, I worked for Hallmark for a few months and one of my stores was Walmart. What a lot of the employees hated was if it was a slow day, they’d send employees home which meant less hours for them. I remember one girl would worry about her bills and rightfully so. 

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)