Honored Contributor

Re: 62,000 Lbs. Beef Recall

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 

It’s the 5-digit product code which identifies those

packages of beef affected.

Honored Contributor

Thought I do appreciate the company doing a recall, what I REALLY need is to know which states and which stores all this beef went to. If none of it went to MD, I don't have to pull what I have in our freezers out and attempt to read numbers.

I think most consumers would appreciate that information as well.

Respected Contributor

"CHOICE" denotes the beef grade. Most supermarkets sell CHOICE beef as their top quality beef. 

There are 8 beef grades:

Prime

Choice

Select

Standard

Commercial, Cutter & Canner (ugh Chunky Brand  beef stew)

Grades are based on two main criteria: the degree of marbling (intramuscular fat) in the beef, and the maturity (estimated age of the animal at slaughter).

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sidsmom   I feel the need to mention all the recalls of lettuce, avocados and other "healthy" plants as well just to level the playing field.

Produce is dirty too.  It is grown in dirt, animals roam the fields, and it is shipped in trucks and containers that might also be contaminated.

Eggs sometimes are causes of gastric distress.  

Be careful with your food, be away and get it from reliable sources.  Realize that a lot of imported food is not as strictly monitored as USA grown.  No matter what you think about the government, it's a fact. 

@Sooner 

Nope.

Produce contamination comes from one source...animals.

Remove the animals & we wouldn’t have this issue.

Fact.

Fact:  You simply are against animals as food.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  You are so right. There is never   anything said when dirty vegetables are recalled. There is no shortage of health scares from vegetables that are contaminated by  ecoli

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Sooner  You are so right. There is never   anything said when dirty vegetables are recalled. There is no shortage of health scares from vegetables that are contaminated by  ecoli

E Coli comes from animals.  Vegetables get "dirty" when they come in contact with animal waste.

Why is this difficult to understand?

Honored Contributor

It also comes from people

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

am thinking we are focusing so much on the animals that we forget about the humans who handle the meat while its being processed.

@GAQShopr53 

Huh?

You do realize animals are the main carriers for E. coli O157:H7?

You do realize animals show no signs when affected?

And you do realize humans wouldn’t get E. coli O157:H7

if it wasn’t for the affected animals?

In summary....we need LESS meat in the world (but that’s another 

topic for another thread)....but if someone is bound & determined

to eat meat, we need MORE focus on the health of animals.

So to imply all these human processors are somehow/someway 

contaminating the meat is....crazy talk.  

You should ask for clarification of responses if you don't understand the response @sidsmom . I Do Realize that animals are the main carriers of E.coli and I stand by my point that infected humans can and do transmit E.coli. I don't talk foolish talk and don't appreciate you implying so. The systems spends a great deal of time ensuring the animals are safe and I don't believe they consider that some of the contamination may be caused by infected humans during the processing of the meat. 

Honored Contributor
Based on the info they disclosed, I don’t see how you would ever know if you had purchased the tainted meat.
Honored Contributor

Cooking Tips for Safe Ground BeefWhy Is It safer to eat a Rare steak than a Rare Hamburger?Because ground beef can turn brown before disease-causing bacteria are killed, color is not a reliable indicator of the temperature of the meat. Use a meat thermometer to check the ground beef has reached the target temperature. ► Cook until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the patty, meatloaf, or other ground beef dish reads at least 160ºF. Reducing Risks From Ground Beef When eating out► In restaurants, send back undercooked ground beef for more cooking. Be especially careful with food that will be consumed by people who may be more susceptible to foodborne illness, for example children or the elderly.► Be aware that bacteria from undercooked ground beef could have contaminated other foods on the plate -- and even the plate itself.Reducing Risks From Ground Beef at Home► Keep raw meat separate from ready-to-eat foods.► Wash hands, counters, and utensils with hot soapy water after they touch raw ground beef. ► Wash meat thermometers between rounds of testing the temperature of ground beef being cooked. When a steak is seared, the bacteria on its surface are killed. Because the interior of the beef is sealed away from contact with bacteria in the air, environment, or cooking equipment, harmful bacteria should not be present in the center. That means that even though the center of the meat remains rare, it is probably safe to eat.A hamburger, on the other hand, contains meat that has been ground. Any bacteria on the meat used to make the hamburger are mixed throughout the patty during processing. Unless the burger is cooked to at least 160ºF throughout, it can still contain illness-causing bacteria.Why is it safer to eat a rare steak than a rare hamburger?This fact sheet is based on the National Research Council report An Evaluation of the Food Safety Requirements of the Federal Purchase Ground Beef Program (2010). The report was sponsored by the Agricultural Marketing Service of the United States Department of Agriculture. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has established food safety standards for the ground beef it purchases for the National School Lunch Program, food banks, and other federal food and nutrition programs. This National Research Council report reviews the scientific basis for these standards, finding that although basing the safety specifications on scientific concepts would strengthen the purchase requirements, proper cooking is the key to ensuring that ground beef is safe to eat.The National Research Council provides a public service by working outside the framework of government to ensure independent advice on matters of science, technology, and medicine. It enlists committees of the nation’s top scientists, engineers, and other experts, all of whom volunteer their time to study specific concerns. The results of these deliberations are authoritative, peer-reviewed reports that have inspired some of the nation’s most significant efforts to improve the health, education, and welfare of the population. For more information, contact the Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources