Honored Contributor

Illinois-based Aurora Packing Company is recalling 62,112 pounds of raw beef products just ahead of Memorial Day weekend over fears the meat may be contaminated with E. coli.

The products subject to recall were packaged on April 19 and bear the establishment number “EST. 788" inside the USDA mark of inspection, the United States

Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced Wednesday.

The potentially tainted items, which included over 40 different kinds of meat such as steak, ribs and brisket, were shipped nationwide for further distribution and processing. (To view a full list of product labels, click here.)

FSIS is urging consumers to be extra cautious when preparing their raw meat products — both fresh and frozen — and only consume beef that has been cooked to a temperature of 165°F.

Common symptoms of an E. coli infection typically appear within three to four days of exposure to the bacteria and may include diarrhea, severe stomach cramps, vomiting and, occasionally, a low-grade fever, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Though most people recover without treatment within five to seven days, more serious cases can be life-threatening and may require hospitalization.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I am sooooo glad I only buy meat from my local farms!!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I saw this alert yesterday and can say that I was concerned about how may people purchased this tainted meat and don't know about the recall. I have limited my beef purchase over the years and make all attempts to purchase from the local meat market but now I see that it doesn't matter where you purchase from.

We should be at a place in the United States where food contamination from E.coli should be minimal. We claim to have some of the best inspection systems in the world yet every day there is something in the news about bacterial contamination in food. I am thinking we are focusing so much on the animals that we forget about the humans who handle the meat while its being processed.

Honored Contributor

I can't believe in this day and age, we still are having these issues.  

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

am thinking we are focusing so much on the animals that we forget about the humans who handle the meat while its being processed.

@GAQShopr53 

Huh?

You do realize animals are the main carriers for E. coli O157:H7?

You do realize animals show no signs when affected?

And you do realize humans wouldn’t get E. coli O157:H7

if it wasn’t for the affected animals?

In summary....we need LESS meat in the world (but that’s another 

topic for another thread)....but if someone is bound & determined

to eat meat, we need MORE focus on the health of animals.

So to imply all these human processors are somehow/someway 

contaminating the meat is....crazy talk.  

Honored Contributor

It wouldn't be a problem if we hadn't used so many anitbiotics in the first place. Then maybe today we would have an antibiotic that could still work against the infectious bacteria. The fight against superbugs is becoming a very serious problem and outbreaks like this one will become more common in the future. Currently we are living in the 'golden age of antibiotics' but it's starting to diminish. The future may not be be so promising.

Honored Contributor

Ecoli naturally lives in the intestines of humans and animals...proper sanitation and handling in all processing is necessary.There is a breakdown in cleanliness that is probably saving time and money.IMO.There are more dangerous infections in hospitals too.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It makes me sick to think of all those animals dying for no reason  . . .

Valued Contributor

MP1061216.jpg 

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

It makes me sick to think of all those animals dying for no reason  . . .

Me too Cat Sad