Respected Contributor

It is possible that Sandy and daughter benefited from

all the social services----- day and night care, equipment allowances etc. We the taxpayers are footing the costs---- ambulances, rehabs, therapists etc. 

Cindy didn't seem very committed in the first place.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I think those shows are exploitative. Yuck.

Absolutely, @Porcelain 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I have only seen a few episodes of this show.

It seems to me that more than just a few of the people have experienced some sort of trauma in their life, and for that I truly am sorry for them.

But what turned me off of the show was, the whining and victim mentality.

"I  can't do  x because......."

Food can be addictive , just like alcohol, cocaine, gambling, etc.

For me it is a deal breaker when someone is addicted to something, and (A) refuse to acknowledge it and (B) get help for it.

It's like what is said on the show "Intervention", there is nothing that I won't do to help you get better, but I won't help you to continue with your addiction.

You see, I use to be in a relationship with someone who was an alcoholic, and now that I am out, I just can't go there again.

And no, this person never admitted to their addiction, let alone, sought help for it.

So to watch a show where people are feeling sorry for themselves, but not willing to do anything about it, just upsets me, so I don't watch.

I commend those who follow Dr.Now's advice, and do the work to loose the weight, because it isn't easy to do.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

In what way? Treating who unfairly, and to gain what advantage, and the benefit to whom?  

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

There is nothing entertaining about the exploitation of a sick individual's morbid obesity. 

It is showcased for ratings and morbid curiosity. Amazing that a show like this is able to attract viewers...

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

There is nothing entertaining about the exploitation of a sick individual's morbid obesity. 

It is showcased for ratings and morbid curiosity. Amazing that a show like this is able to attract viewers...

It is also, like the other shows on TLC, highly scripted and predictable. The producers find as many unlikeable and needy people as possible, and give them a script to follow. People tune in and can't believe that these ingrates won't just stop eating; as if they enjoy living in bodies that weigh over 600 pounds. Those who vilify them are the ones with the real problem, IMO.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Super Contributor

GURL...  YAS... I LOVE My 600 lb life.  One of my FAV shows.  YAS..  MEOW !!

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

It is also, like the other shows on TLC, highly scripted and predictable. The producers find as many unlikeable and needy people as possible, and give them a script to follow. People tune in and can't believe that these ingrates won't just stop eating; as if they enjoy living in bodies that weigh over 600 pounds. Those who vilify them are the ones with the real problem, IMO.

Yes, @mom2four0418. Many enjoy the circus because it make them feel oh, so superior.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: 600lb life confused

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

In what way? Treating who unfairly, and to gain what advantage, and the benefit to whom?  

hckynut 

This kind of show is about gawking at and gossiping about people who have serious issues. And the Discovery corporation benefits financially by creating the shows.

The old tyme "Freak Shows" of the past are almost extinct, for good reason. My 600 Pound Life and "I didn't know I was pregnant!" and "My Strange Addiction" and "Hoarders" and "Gigantic pimples to pop" and "The Biggest Loser" and  "Botched plastic surgery" shows have taken their place.

It's not wrong to watch these shows. I just find it personally distasteful. While I am glad the people on the shows are receiving assistance, I think they should have had access to that level of assistance without having to serve as entertainment on a cable network.

I find it an indictment of our social and medical systems that some folks have reason to think their only hope to overcome serious, life threatening issues is to apply to a Discovery reality show and hope they are chosen to receive help.

Think about all the people who have applied to this show and gotten turned down because Discovery didn't find their personalities interesting enough to select them. What happened to them? If we don't care, we can't say we actually care about the people who do make it onto the show.

And: "In 2018 several news outlets reported that several former patients of Dr. Nowzardan who appeared on the series, and the family of one patient, LB Bonner, who committed suicide, had brought suit against the show's production company, Megalomedia, alleging negligence and claiming that the company failed to cover medical costs"

Edited to add: And TLC (the learning channel? not anymore!) and Lifetime and all the other similar channels that show this content.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

GURL....  YAS... It's such an inspirational show to see the love of those people give. YAS.