Honored Contributor

Re: 600 POUND LIFE JAMES' STORY

@chickenbutt wrote:

I totally remember that Brookhaven show!    I watched every episode.  

I remember when some of those patients, WHILE in the hospital were calling in delivery food, like they were being sneaky with security cameras picking up every bit of it.  D'oh!  

Anyway, it was tough to watch.  I did enjoy the show, though, from a clinical POV.

Hey @chickenbutt good to see you my friend (and Ru of course!) . . . it was a fascinating show as I think it was the first time severely overweight folks were featured on a show.  Clearly everyone knows someone that could lose more than a few pounds (example moi) but that show just blew me out of the water. 

Honored Contributor

Hey Chloe's Mom!  Nice seeing you, too.   Seems like it's been a while, but then my memory is completely gone now.  hehe

IIRC, a lot of the patients in the Brookhaven show were in the 1,000 to 1,200 pound range, too.  They HAD to be hospitalized to be treated.  There were some back and forths even at that point.   I wish I remembered more.  

Honored Contributor

I watched the second half of last night's show, and was stunned to learn that a human being can weigh more than 800 pounds!  

Yet some of you are saying there was a program where participants weighed 1000-1200 pounds?  I can't wrap my mind around that.

I worked in health care in the 80's, and it was rare that we got a patient who outweighed our scales.  I believe they went up to 350 pounds.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I totally remember that Brookhaven show!    I watched every episode.  

I remember when some of those patients, WHILE in the hospital were calling in delivery food, like they were being sneaky with security cameras picking up every bit of it.  D'oh!  

Anyway, it was tough to watch.  I did enjoy the show, though, from a clinical POV.

I remember watching another weight loss type show that was on, I think it was called "Big Medicine" or something like that.  I think it was also in TX & the bariatric surgeons were a father & son & the father was from South Africa.  I really enjoyed that show & liked both the drs. a lot.

Respected Contributor

.how can people eat that much,I don't understand..lol,I am full after one slice of pizza...I wish food stamps only paid for healthy food, it makes me sick when I see people in the grocery store with children and their cart is full of junk food....paid for by  the tax payers..

Respected Contributor

I suppose the income for these people comes from the government;  at that it's hard to believe they can afford to order all this food from the outside. Most of the time companions who travel with them are well over weight as well and should see their need to be on the healthy eating program, many of them are teens and will likely end up the same way.  Sad to know that only 5% of the participants keep the weight off. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's a good question what attracts people about this particular show, 600# Life. I've even watched repeats of this show; however, I'm not interested in any of the others. I only watch this one. And I weigh 105#, so I really don't relate in that area. I love the realism of both the success stories and showing the failures make it real.

I've never seen a person anywhere near a 600# weight, but they report they're in the millions, many bedridden and others not walking out and about where we would see them.

I think the attraction to the show is the enormous struggle when they finally hit rock bottom. It's not different than an alcoholic, drug taker, smoker with success and failures, but with weight being more difficult b/c we must eat every day so it just can't be stopped.

I notice many of the women and men have enabler GF and BF's. Some of the men I've noticed and think just hang in there and must be getting some kind of salary from the government for caretakers. They are getting "paid" and afraid to not give in to the obese, so they're just no help at all.

I think "tough love" is very much needed in all these cases.

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

.how can people eat that much,I don't understand..lol,I am full after one slice of pizza...I wish food stamps only paid for healthy food, it makes me sick when I see people in the grocery store with children and their cart is full of junk food....paid for by  the tax payers..

Our stomachs, @fourpaws56, are the size of a fist, while theirs are as large as a football; so they can eat like l0,000 calories a day. And, if you notice, they LOVE and indulge very much in Fast Foods and everything is fried. They have both fat foods and sugar foods that is their main diet. The amount they eat is astounding.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

I watched the second half of last night's show, and was stunned to learn that a human being can weigh more than 800 pounds!  

Yet some of you are saying there was a program where participants weighed 1000-1200 pounds?  I can't wrap my mind around that.

I worked in health care in the 80's, and it was rare that we got a patient who outweighed our scales.  I believe they went up to 350 pounds.

I watched that show with Ricky who I believe was l200 pounds and the largest man in South America. He just couldn't stop eating and died. It was really pitiful. He had help but just couldn't stop eating.

Super Contributor

@febe1 - I remember many years ago, the Fire Department had to cut down a wall in order to remove a morbidly obese person. There were a number of fire  fighters brought in to help with the removal and transport.