Honored Contributor

Just had to tell someone and no one is around right now!

Sixty years ago when I was a HS junior - something came up in Ancient History class that I just couldn't connect in my mind re an Egyptian pharaoh and Greek philosophers who were separated by 1000 years.  I've been mulling it over in my mind all these years.  "Why did he do that and why bring it up in this class?"  At the time, I just accepted it as a fact w/o explanation.  

All of a sudden tonight while attending an online webinar - all of a sudden I can understand the connection.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 60 y/o question answered

I can appreciate what it's like to finally make a connection, and cross another unanswered question off the list.

Congratulations @ALRATIBA!!

🎉

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA   One of the joys of our senior years is being able to grow in wisdom.  

Hats off to you for retaining a memory of that class from your youth and making the connection now.  

It proves there is always something new to learn and that life is all about growth and joy,

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA  I love when that happens.  I've recently become more aware of how much the Greek philosophers were influenced by Egypt.  Many of the famous Greek philosophers traveled to Egypt to bring that influence back to Greece.  My undergrad degree was in a subject that continues to influence me today, and I can remember facts from my classes that continue to resurface and impact my life today.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd

I had an undergrad minor in Classical Studies  ... and reading Herodotus' Histories (Book II) (c. 450 B.C.), he does state that the Greeks essentially adopted the Egyptian gods/myths.   (I need to dig out my copy and reread.)

My specific question had to do with the connection of the "heresy" of Akhenaten (c 1350 B.C.) to Plato (c. 400 B.C.) (and eventually Aristotle).   In these intervening 60 years, I had numerous philosophy classes, including one specifically on Plato's Republic.  I totally missed Plato's Sun analogy.   Metaphysics is not my strong point!  

Since Akhenaten was essentally "purged" from Egyptian history ... the connection is even more meaningful than I realized.  And ... helps me to see/understand Socrates' fate in a new light.

Now I have something to research and ponder for the next 60 years. 

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA  Yes, Akhenaten was purged but has emerged in a big way.  His monotheism (albeit as the sun as the source) continues to influence philosophies/religions today.

I study metaphysics and it is an integral part of my life.  You have an amazing thought provoking background.  Those interests don't disappear over the years.  Thank you for your post.

Respected Contributor

Yes, The sun stands for "Goodness" and "Truth" in the "Cave" allegory of Plato's Republic! I have never seen the connection to Egypt.  Thanks @ALRATIBA for sharing the insight!

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite

The Republic .... section 508 B - analogy of the sun  vs. Akhenaten's Aten (Sun) as the one God.  

It's not something that's in Plato ... Akhenaten was a reference made by high school history teacher (60 years ago) as it relates to Plato's influence on St. Augustine and later Aristotle's (who was Plato's pupil) on Aquinas.  

I was aware of Akhenaten's monotheism ... but Plato's sun analogy was my missing link.  I tend to "ponder" things that I don't completely understand until I do understand.  I think this "ponder" may have been my longest!  

And ... I now have a new "ponder" re Socrates ... Plato's teacher.  Socrates didn't write anything ... so I'll be reading more Plato!