Honored Contributor

Re: 6 RETAILERS THAT CAN STAND UP TO AMAZON!!!

You need to enjoy the hunt and have stamina to check out TJM on a regular basis.  I never bother to check out the stores anymore.  I enjoy Home Goods but I really don’t need any of the “stuff”.

If I want cosmetics I prefer Nordstrom to Sephora or Ulta.  

Etsy has some interesting items but I don’t find the site easy to navigate.  I have a few favorite vendors that I buy from.

@Mominohio had some good points about Walmart and Amazon. I would not want want to work for Bezos.  However, I buy the occasional book (will not set foot in the B&M Amazon bookstores though) and toys for the g-kids from Amazon.  

Costco is my go-to store.

Respected Contributor

Another B&M store that hasn’t caved to Amazon yet is Barnes & Noble.  Borders liquidated 7 years ago & everyone thought BN would be next years ago as well.  I shop my local BN weekly & am amazed at how they have adapted to stay alive when other book stores have not.  I guess BN was the smarter book store!  I am a huge supporter of B&M stores period.  The “click-n-send” era we live in now is troubling to me, even though I also internet shop, but I do my research online before purchasing & then I go to a B&M store to purchase.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only shop on Amazon at Christmas. Id never buy clothing on there or electronics (except for their kindle which I rarely use believe it or not. lol.).  We do not have a Costco here.

I shop at Target, Boscovs BJs, (get groceries from a grocery store not online, ever) AND more important, i get my music (yes vinyl and cds) and books at local record and book shops! 

PS DH bought us Prime this year, i have never used it, he's used it to shop for some things. It is my opinion Amazon Prime is a gimmick. lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I only shop on Amazon at Christmas. Id never buy clothing on there or electronics (except for their kindle which I rarely use believe it or not. lol.).  We do not have a Costco here.

I shop at Target, Boscovs BJs, (get groceries from a grocery store not online, ever) AND more important, i get my music (yes vinyl and cds) and books at local record and book shops! 

PS DH bought us Prime this year, i have never used it, he's used it to shop for some things. It is my opinion Amazon Prime is a gimmick. lol.

If you purchase regularly from Amazon, which our family does, 

Prime saves you a ton, let alone 1-2 day arrival time. Aside 

from books and electronics, we recently ordered a beautiful,  

large pet gazebo for our dogs. We saved over $50 in shipping

costs alone. It may not be for everyone, but it certainly isn’t 

a gimmick.

Honored Contributor

I order from Amazon once in a while. I have had good luck always with them. I didnt have any issues with returning and a few times I found a code after some searching online, for a discount.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BornToShop wrote:

Another B&M store that hasn’t caved to Amazon yet is Barnes & Noble.  Borders liquidated 7 years ago & everyone thought BN would be next years ago as well.  I shop my local BN weekly & am amazed at how they have adapted to stay alive when other book stores have not.  I guess BN was the smarter book store!  I am a huge supporter of B&M stores period.  The “click-n-send” era we live in now is troubling to me, even though I also internet shop, but I do my research online before purchasing & then I go to a B&M store to purchase.  

Several B&N stores have closed that I know about.  The company is in trouble.

Respected Contributor

I shop most of the places mentioned here,  except Ulta.  The employees never seem especially friendly or helpful there, so I avoid Ulta. 

Better—The local bed bath and beyond has an entire section of personal care items— make up, sunscreen, shampoo,  pharmacy items, just about everything you can think of. You can use 20% coupons on these items too.  I got a great price on a shark vacuum at BBB.   I shop there about every six weeks or so.  It’s a great place to pick up items she didn’t know you needed, ha ha.

We have a Harmon store which also takes BBB coupons for all Personal care items. It’s helpful to get 20% off regularly used personal care items. 

I like Walmart too but there isn’t one close enough to me. Occasionally I make a Walmart run. It’s worth it. 

I’m a big Macy’s fan, online shopping. Don’t  enjoy the store except to return. 

Did we mention Target?  I rarely shop there. 

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb

Yep, us real shoppers NAILED IT!!!.......And I think this says it all as to why customers keep coming back to their stores....

TJX’s stores, which include TJ Maxx and Marshall’s, feature an ever-changing lineup of brand-name clothing and designer fashions. Merchandise deliveries arrive in stores several times a week, keeping shoppers guessing about what they’ll find. 

Compare that to little ole QVC and Q's philosophy--which is to expand social media platforms and show LIMITED merchandise.....(BTW I posted Q's results for the 2nd Quarter under Q-Talk)................

That's my only gripe that all TJX stores arent on the same level---the one by my cousin is awful--its on par with Ross---dirty and nasty stores, while the closest Marshalls, TJ/Homegoods to me are fabulous!!!  

Yep we shouldve bought stock.....

@Spurt Did you know you could order online with TJX? They have some very high end things that are not in the store, $500. wallets.

@panda1234

I occasionally check their website but haven't been too impressed with that part of their business....  I prefer to browse their stores in person......  But Ill keep checking to see if there's anything new and unique online.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Not in my world...lol  The Amazon driver just left, he delivered a toy I ordered Tues. for my friend's grandson's birthday.  Such is the beauty of Amazon.    I'm not about to go old school and pull out my shopping bags, get in the car and go schlepping all over town to "shop".  Perhaps you're referring to bottom line which is something I don't care about .  No shopper cares about stuff like that.   It depends on what you shopping for.  I'd go to Nordstorm if I was looking for an expensive dress to wear to a function.  I'd go to ULTA if I was looking for a specific color of lipstick and I that I want for this weekend.  But most of the things I buy are not "must haves" or things I have to see and feel and try on before I purchase.  Knocking Amazon is a sport now but Amazon doesn't care and neither do people who shop at Amazon.  Amazon just keeps right on bull dozing over other retailers and that's just a fact.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm not a fan of Amazon, though I have made purchases and will again as needs arise, so I'm glad to hear there is hope of other companies standing up to them.

I guess what I don't get is how people who hate Walmart for all the regular reasons (drives small local business out, low wages, corporate greed) seem to still love Amazon, who according to a lot that has been written in the past, doesn't have much better business practices than Walmart. 

At least with Walmart having stores in just about every town in America, you can shop there and support local jobs. 

@Mominohio

That's an excellent point!!!  I think the reason people hate Walmart is when Walmart moved into rural areas, and put a lot of small mom and pop stores out of business, then Walmart turned around and closed some of these same rural stores leaving those folks with NOTHING---so they are forced to go into the nearest big city to do their shopping or they are stuck now ordering everything online .....AND that took jobs away from these areas too...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/09/what-happened-when-walmart-left

http://time.com/money/4192512/walmart-stores-closing-small-towns/

The Walmart nearest me is dirty, their employees are THE RUDEST,  and sometimes the prices arent the greatest......  Everyone complains from family/friends/co-workers, and also read the reviews on their website to confirm this too, but it seems whoever packs their online orders doesnt give a darn, too many items arrive broken and have to be returned..... 

Now there are a couple of brand new Walmarts that opened and these are nice stores and nice employees too....I still prefer Target, Marshalls, and my TJ/Home goods before Walmart.....BUT I will take Walmart any day over Amazon !!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”