Respected Contributor

Re: 6 RETAILERS THAT CAN STAND UP TO AMAZON!!!

Besides Amazon: Costco, TJX stores, Ace Hardware, QVC, Walmart, Target. That’s it. Sometimes I will make a grocery stop someplace else besides Walmart in town, like Food Lion, but that’s pretty much it. 

I never ever go to a mall, and I don’t buy online from any place else so every other business could go away and I would not miss them.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of Amazon, though I have made purchases and will again as needs arise, so I'm glad to hear there is hope of other companies standing up to them.

I guess what I don't get is how people who hate Walmart for all the regular reasons (drives small local business out, low wages, corporate greed) seem to still love Amazon, who according to a lot that has been written in the past, doesn't have much better business practices than Walmart. 

At least with Walmart having stores in just about every town in America, you can shop there and support local jobs. 

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb

Yep, us real shoppers NAILED IT!!!.......And I think this says it all as to why customers keep coming back to their stores....

TJX’s stores, which include TJ Maxx and Marshall’s, feature an ever-changing lineup of brand-name clothing and designer fashions. Merchandise deliveries arrive in stores several times a week, keeping shoppers guessing about what they’ll find. 

Compare that to little ole QVC and Q's philosophy--which is to expand social media platforms and show LIMITED merchandise.....(BTW I posted Q's results for the 2nd Quarter under Q-Talk)................

That's my only gripe that all TJX stores arent on the same level---the one by my cousin is awful--its on par with Ross---dirty and nasty stores, while the closest Marshalls, TJ/Homegoods to me are fabulous!!!  

Yep we shouldve bought stock.....

@Spurt Did you know you could order online with TJX? They have some very high end things that are not in the store, $500. wallets.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon is so much better than any if these options, it’s not funny. Amazon rules! Love everything about Amazon.

Respected Contributor

TJM does not appeal to me.  I have only found one item of clothing there.  It was an orchid color suede jacket and that was years ago.  I do like their jewelry and have bought several pieces. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Amazon is so much better than any if these options, it’s not funny. Amazon rules! Love everything about Amazon.

Purely from a consumer's point of view, I agree.  The CS at TJ Maxx is inconsistent, and I've had some pretty awful experiences with both Best Buy and Ulta.  I don't doubt that other retailers are doing well, but Amazon wins hands-down for me.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a Costco and a Walmart.  The others are not in our area.  And personally I like Amazon.  Customer service second to none.  

Honored Contributor

I have a love hate relationship with Amazon.  I do shop there occasionally, but often find their prices high and quality lacking if the product isn't a brand name. They sink a lot of money back into their business.  I think walmart is a sleeping giant and is starting to slowly wakeup.  They are not risk takers and don't like to part with their money.  If they can get past that and open their wallet, they may be a real rival to Amazon.

Honored Contributor

It comes down to personal preference... I still often like to go and browse in person. I don't want to buy everything on-line and I don't want to have to deal with returns by mail. I also don't want to sift through literally hundreds of web pages to browse. Amazon has it's place in my shopping experience, but it's become more limited. It's useful when I know exactly what I want or when I can narrow down my browsing interest to a relatively narrow range of options... I'm not interested in endless on-line browsing and while their customer service is solid it can also be capricious, as can be delivery, Prime or not. I also grew weary of the endless price see-saw experience... Each of these entities has their strengths and their weaknesses and I don't think any of them can necessarily replace another, nor should they...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

It’s Walmart for me. Fast and free shipping. Go to Macy’s and Kohl’s. TJ Max and Marshall’s are hit or miss.