Honored Contributor

Re: 55+ Retirement Communities

On 3/15/2015 RainCityGirl said:
On 3/15/2015 melfie said:
On 3/15/2015 RainCityGirl said:

Can't speak for any ones except those in Washington. A colleague of mine bought one in Lacey, Washington, near Olympia. It's a lovely house and there are all kinds of trails and activities that she participates in. However, as I remember, the house was rather pricey, and she pays a kind of condo fee each month for maintenance, etc.

Is it Jubilee? I think this is Shea Homes. They have a lodge with a stone facade.

I think it might be. I've only visited her once there, and I don't remember the name of it. I've also seen several 55+ communities in the Skagit Valley. They were also very very nice, and when they first built there, the prices were very reasonable, but later they skyrocketed. They may be back down now, though. On the other hand, I saw some communities built on the east side of the lake, possibly for young professionals and young retirees, that were astronomical in price, but the layout was very conducive to neighborly activities.

Shea Homes took over Jubilee. They are building another one in Sumner.

Super Contributor

tansy is that Tehaleh? I was curious about this community. Have you seen it?

Trusted Contributor

My husband is wanting to check these out. He has many of his high school and college friends living in The Villages right now, and he wants to take a trip down and look around.

Respected Contributor

http://40027701.r.msn.com/?ld=d34A8Cyuwki-iTA6XQYuHXyzVUCUy35r7Oz5k1iEdtWnT8Bk4kDwONQgbU4e_9fzOF_EL...

I can only speak to our experience being in a Del Webb 55+ community. I do agree with tansy re: age. I am nearly 62, DH is 69. However, they do allow people of 52+ to buy as long as it's new construction. Right across the main entrance to our development (which would be impossible to be gated because we live in a golf course community), is the family side. It has it's own club house and pool and a new, huge baseball/soccer field/stadium. We are in the Southeast Valley of Arizona. The property taxes are so much more reasonable than our home state of Illinois. Our quarterly assessments are also manageable for the time being as they are still building like crazy.

I have a friend who recently moved to a development called PROVIDENT in the city of Maricopa, Az. No golf course but it is gated. However, we saw no actual fence around it. It's lovely.

I personally do not miss the voices of children and growing up in a very urban neighborhood my whole life, I'm okay with our life. We have so many things to do if we choose and if we don't....we have community theater, we are an hour away from the airport. The mall is 40 minutes a way yet the grocery store is less than a mile. There are cermaics, stained glass, writing clubs, everything you can think of. We are affiliated with Arizona State University and classes are available right at our club house.

A few towns over in Eloy, Az. is Robson Ranch which is a 55+ community. It is beautiful and right off of I-10 which will take you from California to Mexico and points in between.

I am sorry I cannot speak to Florida or the Southeast states. We did vacation in Florida but found it to be too humid for our liking. I know....it gets hot in Az. but if we drive 3 hours north, we have Flagstaff and other places that we can go for the summer.

My SIL is in Bonita Springs, Fl. and near Naples and she likes it very much but, they have a lot of money. So, if price is no object, shop away.

House hunting is fun!

Honored Contributor

Yes, that's the one. I wasn't sure how to spell itSmiley Happy We drove down to look around but weren't impressed. The clubhouse and pool are not built yet so you have to rely on the architects' drawings. It's still very new but it's always fun to look at model homes (for me at least). I haven't been to Jubilee though.
Super Contributor

On 3/15/2015 tansy said:

Yes, that's the one. I wasn't sure how to spell itSmiley Happy We drove down to look around but weren't impressed. The clubhouse and pool are not built yet so you have to rely on the architects' drawings. It's still very new but it's always fun to look at model homes (for me at least). I haven't been to Jubilee though.

I didn't realize it was so new. I like to look at model homes too. I wouldn't be able to afford the luxurious upgrades but it's fun to dream.

Honored Contributor

My 2 cents: I live in a gated over-55 w/pro golf course (24/7 security)community outside Tampa Florida area. I moved here because of my spouse (he had friends who moved here upon retirement (who since have moved) & he is an avid golfer). As for emergency vehicles, they have transponders for our community gates and security lets them in at the main entrance if there is an emergency. As far as "broken windows" from golfers: I live directly on golf course and in the years I've lived here only balls have hit our roof & bounced off. No broken windows to date, but, if so the management fixes & pays for them.

This is my take on living in a gated community (I live in a villa): Does anyone remember the movie the "Stepford Wives" -- every home looks the same, every lawn is manicured the same, every post light comes on the same time, no more than 3 outside decorations, all home improvements "must be approved by the Board of Directors (which is comprised of a bunch of OLD crabby men!), only noodles in our pool (no kids are allowed w/water wings/tubes/toys even infants/toddlers!!!), and all visitors must be accompanied anywhere on the premises with a homeowner... and the RULES go on and on...INSANE!!!

If you want QUIET, OLDER (in this case over 70+), SNOWBIRDS, & looking for friendships ...I think it will be hard if you move to a community that is already established (this community is 20 yrs old). (Sadly, my friend just moved over to one in Orlando area and is facing the same).

I've been at the pool the past few days and met some "newcomers" under 1 year living here my age (late 50's) and they are ready to move as they don't like it either (so i'm glad its not just me). I don't even know my neighbors names (not that I haven't introduced myself) but most of them stay to themselves, have their own circle of friends OR are snowbirds. Of course, my spouse has lots of friends as he golfs 4-5/week.

Yes, its safe, but my god there isn't a soul in sight after 6:30 pm- all garage doors down and all tucked into bed. {#emotions_dlg.scared} I miss hearing kids or cars going by (I know thats crazy) but its so quiet its like living in a hospital zone!

I ever did it again, I would do my homework, & move to a NEW community I'm sure it would be easier as everyone would be "making new friends, etc. & if you aren't a golfer (like me) I would definitely look for other activities the community vs. a community like this which centers most activities around the game of golf.

Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 HHC1 said:

Special note about the 55 plus communities....Not sure where you fall in this age group or whether it matters to you, But, the majority of residents in these communities are 70 & above.

So true ... they just sent us a community survey average age of resident 79! 67% are snowbirds.

Esteemed Contributor

Check out the manufactured home communities in Central Florida ( E Hillsborough, Pasco & Polk counties). I sang with a group that furnished entertainment and we visited many of these communities and they are the greatest. In our area, tis said that they roll up the streets by 7. Actually, the people eat early and go back to the clubhouses because most evening activities start at 7.

Activities include: Golf, tennis, bowling, art club, chorus, line dancing (lessons and dances), quilting, horseshoes, shuffleboard, bicycling, pool table, cards, Bingo, jams, dances, parades, poker night, swimming pool (heated), pool exercises, Yoga, aerobics, regular exercise, Vespers, Memorial & Veterans Day ceremonies and dinners, karaoke, bus trips to local theaters and sights. Monday morning coffee and donuts for everyone!

We have every activity I can think of except a full orchestra! People know each other and visit and enjoy activities together. Even though it is an older established community, the occupants turn over every year. Always new faces!

There is always someone with your same interests to enjoy life with. People with golfcarts ride around and visit with others. Never boring!

You might try renting for awhile and if you do, betcha end up buying in one!

Respected Contributor

When I retire, I would never live in a place like that. The stress of following all the strict rules and regulations isn't something I would enjoy at retirement age. One of my co-workers was researching them and spoke with a resident who told her that she was written up by the board because her outside planter was in the wrong spot. Are you kidding me???? They want all the homes to look identical, kind of like Stepford homes. There's no individuality whatsoever. Of course some communities are stricter than others, so do extensive research.

My friend also received feedback that the much older residents have nothing better to do than to watch what the younger ones are doing. They gossip and constantly go to the office and complain that things are out of place, etc. Not my cup of tea.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James