Respected Contributor

Re: 50th anniversary trip...we need suggestions

Paris. If the in-laws went to Italy, then that seems to be a comparable destination. It would be a fabulous trip for both couples.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick,

I think if there is a country you have always wanted to see then choose that.

But if you don't have that desire, then I would think of what you were drawn to and love-the ocean? the mountains? Small town mainstreet feel and a cozy Inn or Bed and Breakfast? Modern luxury hotel with great views?

Or where the deer and the antelope play?-Wyoming, Montana, Colorado?

Oh wait, you have those in your back yard!😄 Well, maybe not the antelope.

Think of what makes you happy to be with-horses?, dolphins? quiet pampered luxury?

And in the fall months, esp. October there is nothing like so much of the east coast along the BlueRidge Mountains! From Maine to Va and North Carolina. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick Maybe there is something you would enjoy more than a big trip.  It isn't everyone's dream.  How about a vacation in the mountains--go to a lovely spot and hang out a week or two.  The ocean?  A trip up the Appalachian mountains in the fall when the leaves turn?

Stay at your house all of you and build you a new patio or deck?  Make a memory.  Celebrate family!  Do what would make YOU two happiest and make a memory for all!  

Honored Contributor

New York City or England.  

Two places I recommend everyone see before leaving this earth.  

Respected Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS!  What a wonderful milestone to reach and certainly, a reason to celebrate.

What a generous offer from your children. However, airfare budgets can add up. Additionally, there are some places in the world that are just off-limits right now (China, Russia, etc.). You also decide how long you want to be away from home.

First you need to do a self-survey and figure out what might interest you.  Do you want to be in sunny weather and relax?  Think Caribbean cruise, all inclusive resort in Mexico, a week in Bermuda, a cruise of the Greek islands, a week in Hawaii at two or more islands, a splurge to Tahiti.

Are you interested in seeing European history and doing some sighteeing?  Ireland or Great Britain tour, Spain and Portugal, or river cruises on the Danube, Rhine or in France,  or Italy's major cities tour are excellent options. 

Does a more exotic country whisper your name?  A tour of India, SIngapore, Thailand or Japan, Israel or Egypt might be a great choice.

There are many countries to visit in Central and South America if you like Latin culture and want to learn more about our neighbors.

Yes, an African safari is a wonderful choice for an animal lover, but be prepared to do a lot research as they differ greatly and can be costly.

If budget is no limit, Antartica, Australia, or around-the-world cruises beckon.

Closer to home, the U.S. has many wonderful national parks, especially out West in Arizona and Utah.  Have you toured the New England area and visitied Boston, Salem, Plymouth, etc.?  I also recommend Mississippi  river cruises for seniors.  I sent my parents on one for their 25th wedding anniversary.

Enjoy the planning experience and celebrate in style!

Honored Contributor

You have traveled a lot it seens and now you want to stay in the USA.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing one of the beautiful places to visit right here.  I don't know anything about you so cannot offer any suggestions.  Hubby and I love the ocean, we love beautiful beaches and gorgeous weather.  We are thinking Hawaii or California for our next vacation.

Honored Contributor

Utah just for it's scenery.  Some places there are magnificent.  

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick,

England, Ireland, Greece, Italy or Alaskan cruise!

Fall Weekend With Quotes

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Had another thought - I've heard of people travelling to where their ancestors are from. Not that you need to check out the cemeteries or anything but it might add a bit of substance* to the trip.

*can't think of the right word

Honored Contributor

Hawaii.  Maybe an intraisland cruise on NCL.