Honored Contributor

Re: 50th anniversary trip...we need suggestions

I've heard that the riverboat cruises are very lovely.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

I have always wanted to visit Ireland, me and my daughter are planning a trip soon to Scotland and Ireland and possibly England.  We take trips together thats our thing, we have gone to Costa Rica and Italy so far.

Trusted Contributor

We're going to Lake Louise and Banff in Canada for our 42nd anniversay in April.

Thought about doing another Alaskan cruise, which was wonderful, but want to

go somewhere we haven't been before.

Wherever you choose to go @MamaWick I'm sure you will make

beautiful memories.

Respected Contributor

With all due respect I would never let my child pay for a vacation for me. The thought is nice but if I can't travel on my own dime I would not travel. 

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

I've been fortunate to travel a lot.  African Safari isn't for everyone & it can be hot and uncomfortable & a little difficult.  I loved Australia & NZ but it was long and difficult.   I live in Italy part time so a little biased but I love Pulia.   Just returned from Scotland and it was very interesting and Ireland is nice.  But I guess I'd say Japan if you don't mind long air time, Israel & Poland, Hungry, Austria & Prague are lovely and quite interesting.  Fall is a good time to travel as tourists have left.  Barcelona of course is a wonderful city.  I'd advise that if you fly, fly direct as connecting flights are a hassle right now due to delays and worker shortages.  

a River Cruise is nice & Holland & Belgium are beautiful when the tulips are in bloom & Amsterdam is a wonderful & active city.  

if you are interested in your roots, select the country of your ancestors. 

@Stray    I must say you do get around.  I've been to Poughkeepsie, does that count?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Europe - countries thousands of years older than ours.  Italy at the very least.

Honored Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

We're going to Lake Louise and Banff in Canada for our 42nd anniversay in April.

Thought about doing another Alaskan cruise, which was wonderful, but want to

go somewhere we haven't been before.

Wherever you choose to go @MamaWick I'm sure you will make

beautiful memories.

@yellowrose    Be sure to take the Icefields Parkway all the way to Jasper.  It's one of the most beautiful drives in the world.  Don't forget Moraine Lake either.  Just as pretty as Lake Louise.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@yellowrose @Kachina624  Banff & Jasper are absolutely beautiful!  We've been in both summer & winter.  Drove the Icefields Parkway both times.  Everything was absolutely amazing!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Paris is always a good idea. If you want to have a North American version of francophone culture, Québec is wonderful, especially Québec City. It's romantic, beautiful, historic, and the food is terrific. For our 50th, my husband and I went to Niagara on the Lake Ontario, one of the most beautiful towns in Canada. There are lovely B&Bs, historic luxury hotels, spas, wineries and, best if all, live theatres with great performances by Canadian actors. It's not far from the Falls but is a delightful destination in itself.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The trip is a wonderful offer of kindness from your children and the memories will be lifelong.  Here are my suggestions.

A cruise. All the planning is done, no packing and unpacking, and you are free to just enjoy yourselves.  No one has the responsibility of driving, parking, etc.

In my experience, Viking River cruising is a good place to start to look for places in Europe that interest you. Their on line brochure is packed with ideas.  Also, if scenery is what you are looking for, a Norway fjord trip is most beautiful.  But, the four river cruises we have completed - all were low stress, interesting, and very enjoyable.  We also take an annual trip to Switzerland and use their trains.  They are spotless and clean, safe, stop at lovely villages, and are hassle free.  The Swiss Alps and countryside are beautiful in both summer and winter.  In June we took a Holland America cruise to Alaska.  They tend to be an adult cruise line so their brochure would give you ideas.   If you love cities and museums and architecture and want to spend a week in one place, then Paris and Prague have everything to offer.  We just returned from Barcelona and I would add that city as one that has plenty to experience.

Have fun planning a great trip!