Honored Contributor

5000 people online right now - wow

Usually this board has about 1000 -2000.  Right now (2:33 p.m. Pacific) there are over 5000.

Not sure what that means.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: 5000 people online right now - wow

Maybe people have a lot of extra windows open? I know I often just scroll through the new threads list opening posts in new windows as it's faster 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

where do you see the number?

Valued Contributor

My guess is that it is tracking the traffic on the entire website - shopping as well as the boards.  (Since you never really leave the shopping site to come to this area.)  Guess people are shopping (or at least looking!)

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Valued Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

where do you see the number?

The opening page of "Blogs and Forums" - the one with the turquoise lettering on the thread titles.  Lower left-hand side.  It shows #### online now, and under that it shows 5 avatars of people that are online.  (If you are signed in, the first one is always your own.) Smiley Happy

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

Maybe people have a lot of extra windows open? I know I often just scroll through the new threads list opening posts in new windows as it's faster 

I do the same thing! If you log in first, it knows they're all you. If you forget and open a dozen windows or tabs before logging in, it may or may not use the IP address or a cookie to recognize them all as belonging to one person - I'm not sure.

I also usually have the main forum window in an open tab in the background all day long, even if I'm doing other things and don't look at it for 3 hours.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

The "extras" are "prying eyes" of entities that are not registered with the Q... (guests)... I believe these are software programs "combing" thru the posts for key words that might apply to products they are selling.  ie: if your post mentions purses, then you would get pop-up ads for different purse companies (or depression/anxiety medicine, etc)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

The numbers are right now shown (3:49 p.m. Pacific) as:

Showing Members Online: (1 - 11 / 341) (4,853 Guests Online)

Members - 341

Guests - 4853

It makes sense that the guests are shoppers who are not logged in, since you don't need log in to either view the products or the boards.

However, it's even more clear that these boards have a very skimpy number of members online at any one time.  Only 341 right now.  That seems very low.  And maybe these numbers should let posters know that their voices are tiny in comparison to those who buy "mass quantities" of any particular product, or complain about hosts, or voice any other number of issues here.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Back before all the censorship there were thousands of members signed into the boards. A couple hundred members signed into the boards is nothing, too bad.

Esteemed Contributor

I often scan these boards and browse the product offerings without signing in.  If I want to reply or start a post, or buy something, I'm automatically redirected to the sign in page, and then I conduct business.  I don't see the need to sign in everytime I simply "look".

Cogito ergo sum