Honored Contributor

Re: 500 CAGED DOGS SAVED FROM SLAUGHTER IN CHINA

Seriously, we can only blame ourselves, as a whole society.  Think about it.  Maybe one of the politicians will bring this topic to the forefront?   I mean, between telemarketers calling non-stop, and ill-made products, foods, why can't one of those running for Pres. politicians bring up issues that affect us on a daily basis?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Seriously, we can only blame ourselves, as a whole society.  Think about it.  Maybe one of the politicians will bring this topic to the forefront?   I mean, between telemarketers calling non-stop, and ill-made products, foods, why can't one of those running for Pres. politicians bring up issues that affect us on a daily basis?

So true ROMARY1 .  The Chinese president was paraded around as a guest here last week and treated like a king....Boeing is  joining forces with them and plans to build planes in China.....out sourcing jobs that should stay here....no one wants to bring up injustices with the President of China should they "upset" him. 

Honored Contributor

Let's just see how they 'mix' the steel/metal ingredients to be used in building those planes.  Didn't they mix steel parts wrong on a bridge or something recently?  There are plenty, maybe thousands, of college graduates in the materials/chemcal engineering field who need jobs, inspecting and analyzing the various metals used in planes, bridges, and whatever else.  Instead, those graduates will be working in the food service industries the rest of their working lives.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I didn't read the article, but I'm assuming these animals (pets????) were for human consumption?

I don't know if the animals were living in horrific conditions as I didn't read it.

But I'm sure these animals would've fed perhaps thousands of people.

As a vegetarian, I don't see a difference between someone eating a calf or a cat.  I do understandconsumption of meat.

What we, the people of the United States need to do, is make sure the meat/poultry/fish/eggs/dairy we purchase/consume has been treated humanely.

If you go to your fridge and look at your cheese ingredients, it probably contains animal rennet.  It;s the fourth stomach of a newborn calf.  I think that calf needed that fourth stomach.....

So the Chinese are bad bad people?

Honored Contributor

June:  Who would have thought that things like this would happen here............ Really, we should be ashamed of ourselves (as a whole society).  So bizarre, that if this situation was written into a book, it would be in the Fiction category.  I'm serious.

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm  Most were stolen pets with leashes and collars.....many dogs had clothes on( the owners dressed them as many owners do) please read the article before commenting?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'Trouble is', they aren't very humane, if at all.  That's the problem.  It goes beyond pets/animals, too.  As I've said before, we know lots of very, very, very nice C people here who aren't very interested in returning to their homeland.  They are very, very happy to be here.  Very loving and appreciative people, who treat their female children and grandchildren as well as their male children/GC.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I didn't read the article, but I'm assuming these animals (pets????) were for human consumption?

I don't know if the animals were living in horrific conditions as I didn't read it.

But I'm sure these animals would've fed perhaps thousands of people.

As a vegetarian, I don't see a difference between someone eating a calf or a cat.  I do understandconsumption of meat.

What we, the people of the United States need to do, is make sure the meat/poultry/fish/eggs/dairy we purchase/consume has been treated humanely.

If you go to your fridge and look at your cheese ingredients, it probably contains animal rennet.  It;s the fourth stomach of a newborn calf.  I think that calf needed that fourth stomach.....

So the Chinese are bad bad people?

You make a valid point, having seen how animals are treated here in the US for consumption (thinking veal). 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@june22 wrote:

China allows cruel manufacturing of dog meat for human consumption. This is only ONE of the MANY reasons I hate China and try my best to boycot them.

On April 19, a small truck left for the town of Yulin, China. Its cargo: cages upon cages of dogs. The dogs, many of them dehydrated, sick, and injured, were stacked on top of one another, making what was to be the final ride of their lives. The truck was on its way to a food processing plant.

Several dogs were still wearing their collars and leashes, an indicator they were probably kidnapped or stolen.

A Good Samaritan who had seen the truck traveling on route to the Guangxi Zhuang region posted an update on Weibo, the Chinese version of Twitter, urging animal lovers to help stop the truck before it could reach its destination.

Within a half an hour of the message, hundreds of people gathered at a toll station along the Fumin-Kunming Highway, stopping the truck in its path. Around 11 p.m., the volunteers contacted the local police, who arrived at the scene to investigate.

In all, the truck was carrying 156 small cages with 505 dogs of all breeds and sizes squeezed inside.

Though the investigation continued through the night, the loyal volunteers remained with the dogs, administering what food, water, and medical care they could manage through the bars of the cages. Some of the very ill dogs died during the night. In the morning, the police gave the okay, and the dogs were removed from the truck.

The police questioned the truck driver, who had no legal documents on his person that would permit such a transport, but a call into the AQ office in Xichang, Sichaun Province revealed that the driver did indeed have permission granting him passage to the food processing plant. The police gave the order to reload the truck.

To the horror of the volunteers, some of the caged dogs, including a Samoyed and a Siberian Husky, were still wearing their collars and leashes, an indicator that the dogs were probably kidnapped. Some dogs even had clothing on, clothing that their owners must have dressed them in before they were stolen.

A shelter organizer doubted the legality of the driver’s certifications. “More than 100 dogs are family pets, like a Golden Retriever,” he said. “They are obviously stolen.”

Refusing to allow the dogs to return to the dognapper, the volunteers blocked the truck’s path from the scene. Finally on the evening of April 20, an anonymous donor paid a sum of nearly $10,000 (U.S.) to purchase and rescue the dogs from the truck driver.

A temporary shelter has been erected to house the nearly 500 dogs rescued. Volunteers have been pouring in from across the country, offering their care and support.

Veterinarian Zhao Yue, who has been providing medical treatment for the dogs, says that the dogs arrived at the temporary shelter in bad shape. “Many of them are suffering from dehydration, malnutrition or infectious diseases, and they are very weak,” says Zhao. Around 20 dogs were so ill that they didn’t make it.

The sheer number of animals has proved to be a tough challenge for even the most seasoned volunteers.

Yu Yihan, a 22-year-old volunteer, has been working at the makeshift shelter for five hours per day since the dogs were rescued. “I came here right after I found out about the dogs online,” Yu says. “But all I can do is minor things, like putting water in their mouths,” explains Yu. Still, Yu is proud of the volunteer efforts: “We stopped the shipment, and I’m proud of myself.”

Song Jinzhang of the China Small Animal Protection Association, is pleased with the rescue efforts, but admits that China has a long way to go in creating laws to protect dogs like these. “These dogs are lucky to have been saved from slaughter,” he says, “but many more have been killed and used as food.”

Read more at http://dogtime.com/trending/10586-500-caged-dogs-saved-from-slaughter-in-china#VumpA2bY1ZikBXPI.99

OP,  This article was written in April 23,2012

Esteemed Contributor

@june22 wrote:

@Lucky Charm  Most were stolen pets with leashes and collars.....many dogs had clothes on( the owners dressed them as many owners do) please read the article before commenting?

The article said SOME not MOST.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.