Super Contributor

I live in a state that you can't even fill in an online application because the website has so many problems that it just locks you out.  The governor finally allowed paper applications.  I sent mine in six weeks ago and haven't heard anything at all.  Today I tried to go on the website and it's closed.  If you call the lines are either busy or the call gets dropped.  The governor keeps saying that they're working on the website and should be up and running soon.   

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@reiki604   I have never been in a position where I had to draw unemployment  so I am not sure how it works, but I wonder if the employee can say they are afraid to come back to work...do they continue their benefits thru July... I don't know.

I'm not 100% sure but unemployment always worked that if a job was available and you didn't want to take it, you lost your unemployment. This is one of the issues in the meat packing plants. The owners want no liability for inadequate safety measures so the workers need to keep working. I don't think fear would be an adequate excuse, especially if social distancing and PPE was available.

@reiki604    You are correct.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@QueenDanceALot   Has your stimulus show up yet?  Ours has not.

@Mom2Dogs 

I got a check on Tuesday.

Did you check the website to see when and how yours is coming?

Honored Contributor

And for all of you watching our bank accounts, the $600 is paid bi-weekly and it actually comes out (for me, at least) to $1032 every 2 weeks.

Sorry if that's still too much for you to stand.

Honored Contributor

I wonder how many of you who are complaining about the $600 are sitting at home, nice and safe, sending some poor soul into the stores to shop for you so you don't have to do it yourself, and manage to pay all of your bills without having to do anything.

Yeah, I'll stop now.

I feel my blood boiling over.

Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@reiki604  @Mom2Dogs  Regarding losing your unemployment:

1) You are required to list 3 places you've applied to each week. Don't do it? Lose your unemployment

2) If you are offered a job and refuse it for ANY reason, you lose your unemployment

3) If your company opens but you feel it's an unsafe situation and refuse, you lose your unemployment.

4) If you quit your job because you would make more on unemployment, think again. Those that quit a job do not qualify for unemployment.

@FiddleDeeDee   these requirements go into effect after the initail benefit period ends. Benefit period can be 8 to 12 weeks.   In the 2nd phase of UI benefits job searches may be monitored but most UI offices do not have the manpower to hold feet to flames.

In the current Pandemic situation the requirements will be relaxed. The last time there were extensions after 2008 they pulled the UI benefits sooner than they should have and the talking heads are saying benefits in the era of COVID-19 will be extended over time, longer than they were available in 2008.

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Unemployment Insurance program is funded through unemployment insurance taxes paid by employers and collected by the state and federal government.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@reiki604   I have never been in a position where I had to draw unemployment  so I am not sure how it works, but I wonder if the employee can say they are afraid to come back to work...do they continue their benefits thru July... I don't know.

I'm not 100% sure but unemployment always worked that if a job was available and you didn't want to take it, you lost your unemployment. This is one of the issues in the meat packing plants. The owners want no liability for inadequate safety measures so the workers need to keep working. I don't think fear would be an adequate excuse, especially if social distancing and PPE was available.

@reiki604   True but the job had to be comparable to what you were doing before being laid off and comparable in pay-not necessarily equal but not way under the original job and pay.

A person who had a job as an accountant, e.g., couldn't be forced to work at McD's.

That is the way I remember.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot   Good news!  I tried again today....message is they are working on it!  The original deadline is mid May and this is early May.  I do realize that this was a huge upset to the states, so I am not going to get to snarky about it.  I think I would not want to be working for the unemployment bureau right now.  I am pretty sure they are working hard on it.

A couple of small jobs have come our way this week, better than nothing, it can only go up from here...right!??

Super Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I wonder how many of you who are complaining about the $600 are sitting at home, nice and safe, sending some poor soul into the stores to shop for you so you don't have to do it yourself, and manage to pay all of your bills without having to do anything.

Yeah, I'll stop now.

I feel my blood boiling over.

I could of not written it better.

Honored Contributor

Re: $ 500.00 bonus

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@QueenDanceALot   Good news!  I tried again today....message is they are working on it!  The original deadline is mid May and this is early May.  I do realize that this was a huge upset to the states, so I am not going to get to snarky about it.  I think I would not want to be working for the unemployment bureau right now.  I am pretty sure they are working hard on it.

A couple of small jobs have come our way this week, better than nothing, it can only go up from here...right!??

@Mom2Dogs 

YAY!  Good to know you'll be getting it before long.

And I agree.  I know that my state hired a TON of people to help them deal with the enorrnous number of claims coming in.  I felt for them, having to deal with the antiquated system and no doubt having to speak to a lot of frustrated people.  I tried calling for a few weeks and kept getting a busy and a hang up.  I also tried the website and it was always down.  When I finally got to hold on I held on for dear life. I kept having to pick :"option 2" to keep holding (every three minutes).  I was hearing that 'hold' music in my sleep after punching '2' every three minutes for 6 hours!!

I'm glad to read you are getting some work.  Onward and upward!  I heard today that our studio will be able to open June 1.  I am sure it will be slow going, but those of us who work out of there are so ready to make it work!