Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JaneMarple    We are talking about Unemployment Insurance, not the general economy.

You don't think New Mexico is dependent on tourism and I'm not familiar with its effects?

@Kachina624 , I know what the discussion is about! The unemployed where I live is high and the cost of living hasn't gone down either. The people who are getting this extra money deserve every penny! 

I've lived in New Mexico and know all about it!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Re: $ 500.00 bonus

[ Edited ]

@Purplenails wrote:
Is it true people who are receiving unemployment are also getting $ 500. Extra every week if that's the case I wish I was unemployed. If that's true who made this to take effect that is totally not right when their are people who need food. Your better of to lose a job.

Have you ever been on unemployment?

Unemployment doesn't cover much. When I was laid off in 2019, I knew I was eligible for the maximum unemployment payment. Monthly, it was less than 40% of what I made before. If I got a part time job to help, they would lower the amount I made from unemployment, so there was no possible way to catch up. It would pay for my rent, but that was about it. And because I was no longer getting health insurance through my office, my health insurance premiums went from $160 a month to $748 a month. The costs of my medications went up, too. Unemployment did not cover all of that.

That extra $600 a week isn't a bonus. It allows someone to get health insurance, which is critical in a pandemic. It allows someone to pay for utilities like internet access, which is needed to find a job because libraries are closed. It's enough to buy a cheap computer for someone who doesn't have one and needs to job hunt from home. You cannot even get unemployment unless you can prove you've been looking for a job. That extra $600 enough to make sure you can pay the rent, utilities, get health insurance, AND have food. No one is going to be living a life of luxury on unemployment. 

Being on unemployment is not better than having a job.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Purplenails wrote:
Is it true people who are receiving unemployment are also getting $ 500. Extra every week if that's the case I wish I was unemployed. If that's true who made this to take effect that is totally not right when their are people who need food. Your better of to lose a job.

@Purplenails, right now it is $600 every week in addition to the person's unemployment check. An additional $500 is being considered according to what I've seen recently reported on one or more of the major news channels. I don't remember if they said weekly or monthly. There are some people who are already playing the system by not working when they could be or "conveniently" getting themselves fired. Honest people who have legitimate claims are one thing but it will be an incentive for more applications from the people who are not.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Purplenails wrote:

Have you ever been on unemployment?

Unemployment doesn't cover much. When I was laid off in 2019, I knew I was eligible for the maximum unemployment payment. Monthly, it was less than 40% of what I made before. If I got a part time job to help, they would lower the amount I made from unemployment, so there was no possible way to catch up. It would pay for my rent, but that was about it. And because I was no longer getting health insurance through my office, my health insurance premiums went from $160 a month to $748 a month. The costs of my medications went up, too. Unemployment did not cover all of that.

That extra $600 a week isn't a bonus. It allows someone to get health insurance, which is critical in a pandemic. It allows someone to pay for utilities like internet access, which is needed to find a job because libraries are closed. It's enough to buy a cheap computer for someone who doesn't have one and needs to job hunt from home. You cannot even get unemployment unless you can prove you've been looking for a job. That extra $600 enough to make sure you can pay the rent, utilities, get health insurance, AND have food. No one is going to be living a life of luxury on unemployment. 

Being on unemployment is not better than having a job.

@Alison Wonderland   That extra $600 most certainly is a bonus!  The purpose original UI was never to cover living expenses or bills.  It was designed to cover job-hunting expenses, period.  Since people can't hunt for jobs, they were given a bonus.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 when I asked my senator's assistant the question, he said while a lot of the lawmakers were against the additional compensation the bill would not have passed with out the extra money.  They are very aware of the fall out.

Edited to add:  They understand it will be difficult to get people back to work with the additional money coming in...yes I know only until July.  I have a friend that owns a small business, that was 'allowed' to stay open.  Once word got out about the unemployment 2 employees quit, that had pretty much told him they would stay on....he hired a new person, she worked one day.  I understand most people want to work.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple    As I said, we're not discussing the cost of living in your city or the general economy.  We are discussing UI period and I don't know how you'd be in a position to know what people deserve.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Purplenails wrote:

@Purplenails   People who are unemployed need help getting food too so your post makes absolutely no sense at all.

Your transparency is showing.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Kachina624 when I asked my senator's assistant the question, he said while a lot of the lawmakers were against the additional compensation the bill would not have passed with out the extra money.  They are very aware of the fall out.

It's truly a shame that the bill that was passed gave billions to major corporations with no oversight and very little or nothing to small business like yours.What some folks here don't seem to get, if the job reopens and the person doesn't go back, they lose their Unemployment and bonus.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

No, the additional boost from the federal government is $600 per week, in addition to whatever one gets from their state. 

And the "regular" amount I am getting is $174 a week.  And I am getting this princely sum because the place I work out of (I am an independent contractor) was ordered closed on March 18th.  

The moaning and whining about the $600 is getting really annoying.  And it won't last long.

So, don't worry, I'm not getting rich.  I'm not even getting a massage.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand it rankles at some level though I have mixed feelings. Most of us got, at best, $1200 lump sum stimulus money. Those drawing unemployment are drawing the extra six hundred through July, I believe, on top of the regular amount of their checks, some of which are for a lot of money. In some ways, I think the extra money was to try to help approach a living wage.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...