Esteemed Contributor

Re: $ 500.00 bonus

[ Edited ]

After reading some of the posts on here and the low amount of unemployment people get, or were getting before they added 600.00 to it, when was the last time that was increased? 

275.00  is the maximum in some places? That doesn't sound like much for someone to live on, especially if they have a family to support.

Esteemed Contributor

Just want to say how sorry I am to hear about everyone’s struggles with unemployment.  Sincerely, my heart goes out to all.  My hope is that everyone gets their job back or a comparable new one.  

My DH and I went through a bad and scary time many years ago.  No need to bore you with details, but we eventually made it through and have been fine since.  But we have never forgotten and would never want to.  We do our very best to help others. I hope everyone gets all the financial help they need.  After all, we are the wealthiest country in the world.

Trusted Contributor

@Purplenails wrote:
Is it true people who are receiving unemployment are also getting $ 500. Extra every week if that's the case I wish I was unemployed. If that's true who made this to take effect that is totally not right when their are people who need food. Your better of to lose a job.

If you never had to be on Unemployment, consider yourself very lucky indeed.

It's not a full paycheck. In most states, it's a small amount of money every week.

It's not meant to replace someone's regular job income and to cover a full amount of someone's pay.

It's usually not enough to cover someone's rent/mortgage, utilities and other bills, when added up altogether--when you combine the payments together.

It's also difficult if someone is married and their spouse also lost their job at the same time.

As others have mentioned, the additional $600.00 that those who have been unemployed are also receiving right now, are receiving that amount on a short-term basis for a few months. It's not for a long period of time.

Trusted Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

It's not $500, it's $600 added to the normal state unemployment benefit for whatever state someone claims and qualifies in. 

Many articles explaining this. Because unemployment benefits tend to be very low paying from state to state, the CARES Act tries to supplement those benefits for a short term to get people on their feet until they can get back to work. 

read a few articles.  

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/money/coronavirus-spending-bill-expands-unemployment-what-yo...

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/3/21199689/how-to-get-coronavirus-unemployment-insurance-furlough

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/23/business/economy/unemployment-benefits-stimulus-coron...

It's not in place forever, it's just a booster to help folks who are so far behind from being out of work, they can get an extra supplement so debt is not insurmountable. Helping people out of work in a public health emergency is not a handout. It's a way to sustain families short-term. 

Yes...

I also personally think that some people believe that those who receive unemployment benefits somehow are collecting lots of money and somehow then have it "easy" in some way. 

We don't know someone else's living situation.

There could be one person who was working in the family, and the other person could be ill and not working, etc. 

As I said in my other post, the amount that someone receives from their unemployment benefit usually isn't very much per week. It depends on the state that the person lives in.

It has to be horribly unsettling and upsetting to be working one day, and then suddenly find your world turned upside-down by literally not having a job within the next day or so. 

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I better sit on my paws.  I am sick of the insinuations around here that those of us who lost our income through no fault of our own are lazy blood suckers who would rather sit home and collect unemployment.

You people have no freaking idea.

Sending you loving hugs. Heart

Been there before with my husband, the last time the economy tanked. 

Was judged horribly to our faces by some of the people who we thought knew us the best. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@grandma2pkmh 

No its not taxable according to our Governor (FL) and the reports which have been sent out through the system. 

Again, every state is different ... Unemployment is TAXABLE but the additional payment is NOT.

All unemployment payments including the $600 from the CARES program IS taxable.

The $1200 stimulus money is NOT taxable.

My son is collecting unemployment and the $600 a week.  I set up his unemployment for him.  I opted to have taxes taken out for both of his deposits..regular unemployment and the $600.  10% has been withheld from both payments.  It is not different through out the states.  Federal taxes are the same everywhere.

@Carmie 

Thank you for the correction.  My son & DIL heard today they needed to "re-apply" apparently "independent/1099" are eligible for both.  I will 🤞🏻 they do get what they're entitled to.

Then again, the guidelines are continually updated or wrong info through media outlets.

So thankyou I will make them aware they should have taxes taken out.

Homedecor1

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@grandma2pkmh 

No its not taxable according to our Governor (FL) and the reports which have been sent out through the system. 

Again, every state is different ... Unemployment is TAXABLE but the additional payment is NOT.

That is incorrect.  The  $600 additional payment is TAXABLE by the federal government at 10%.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

After reading some of the posts on here and the low amount of unemployment people get, or were getting before they added 600.00 to it, when was the last time that was increased? 

275.00  is the maximum in some places? That doesn't sound like much for someone to live on, especially if they have a family to support.

————————

Mississippi, Arizona and Louisiana pay less than $250 weekly(maximum).

Honored Contributor

@Biftu 

I saw @Carmie  answer.

thankyou!!!

Honored Contributor

@Purplenails wrote:
Is it true people who are receiving unemployment are also getting $ 500. Extra every week if that's the case I wish I was unemployed. If that's true who made this to take effect that is totally not right when their are people who need food. Your better of to lose a job.

@Purplenails 

I wish I was unemployed?  Not me!  I thank God everyday for providing me a great job, being able to work from home (being doing it long before the Plandemic).  I would never trade it for unemployment.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.