Honored Contributor

@Biftu It is not taxable by the Federal Givernment at 10%. It is taxable the same as regular earned income.  

If you opt to have taxes withheld from your unemployment payments, 10% will be Withheld, but for some people that is not enough and for others, too much.

Esteemed Contributor

Unemployment is the same now...if not more...as it was in 2008 when so many people lost their jobs.  Why some felt the need to add an additional $600 is beyond me. 

I haven't read the entire thread, but I don't doubt there are some posts about people getting more unemployed than they would if they were working.  It's happening.  Free money (the $600).  Woohoo! Woman Frustrated

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

What irritates me to no end is receiving the stimulus (both of us) when we didn't need it, didn't lose our job and was not in a hardship in any way, shape or form.  So why the heck did they send it to us!!!!!!!! I'm sure there are millions of people out there a heck of lot wealthier than us who also didn't need it. So what gives??????? Absolutely infuriating and a waste of taxpayer money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donate the money to charity or give it back.

You took the words right out of my thoughts @JaneMarple , donate it to a food bank, they can sure use it right now.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: $ 500.00 bonus

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

What irritates me to no end is receiving the stimulus (both of us) when we didn't need it, didn't lose our job and was not in a hardship in any way, shape or form.  So why the heck did they send it to us!!!!!!!! I'm sure there are millions of people out there a heck of lot wealthier than us who also didn't need it. So what gives??????? Absolutely infuriating and a waste of taxpayer money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@germanshepherdlove 

I truly hope that those who have received this money who don't need it will consider donating to someone who does.  A group, perhaps, or anyone who is in dire straits.

@QueenDanceALot it really has placed us in an uncomfortable position being private people who are sheltering in place at home. 

@germanshepherdlove I'm sure you have a local food bank you can donate it to,  look it up in your phone book or call City/Town Hall they can give you the  address to send the donation to.  

Honored Contributor

Re: $ 500.00 bonus

[ Edited ]

At least the 600 extra bucks goes to working families, and those that need it.  Better than the give away to big business  and corporations, while is all the small, and downtown businesses might have to close....because they can't get one of these stimulus loans. Tax payers money for corporation , corporations who just got the biggest tax cut in years.?  I think not.  But, again nothing we can do  it's done

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Unemployment is the same now...if not more...as it was in 2008 when so many people lost their jobs.  Why some felt the need to add an additional $600 is beyond me. 

I haven't read the entire thread, but I don't doubt there are some posts about people getting more unemployed than they would if they were working.  It's happening.  Free money (the $600).  Woohoo! Woman Frustrated

Nothing is free for the common working person.  It's our tax money...some of which they dribble out back to us to make us feel like they give a darn.  Oh, and in 2008 we weren't dealing with a world wide virus wiping out millions of human beings, but with unscrupulous business practices.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Biftu It is not taxable by the Federal Givernment at 10%. It is taxable the same as regular earned income.  

If you opt to have taxes withheld from your unemployment payments, 10% will be Withheld, but for some people that is not enough and for others, too much.

My goddaughter was told the federal government takes 10% taxes across the board if you opt to have taxes taken.  She opted to have taxes taken out and she received $540 vs the $600.  

Esteemed Contributor

For some this additional $600 is a little extra help, for others it is a huge windfall. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Regular Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

While I completely support this additional money for those who actually lost their job due to the current situation I do have some issues over making more than what your income was while unemployed.  Additionally I personally know and have verified that a friend of mine was FIRED (small wine tasting room who didn't fight her unemployment and marked resigned on her discontinuance of employment) for stealing in November 2019 and is collecting the additional $600/week.  She began collecting unemployment in January ($92 every two weeks).  She was not going to look for another job and is planning on just letting unemployment run out.  This bothers me since she did not lose her job due to the current situation.  Also, while her husband DID lose his job he is making more money now that he is umemployed than he did while working.  Instead of saving the money after paying the bills they are frivolous with it (I understand this isn't my problem, I am just venting) and plan on taking a trip (via rented RV)  through several states on the west coast visting friends they haven't seen in awhile.  It may perhaps come back to bite them is he is unable to find employment anytime soon. 

The other side of this is that both my husband (essential worker for the Federal BOP, non CO) and myself (essential worker healthcare) still go to work everyday in a less than desirable work environment.  I don't know how I feel about perhaps us receiving additional money for continuing to work but something perhaps more than a root beer float provided by my employer would be nice.

Anyway, lots of venting and ranting and raving in this post...thanks for listening.  Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@germanshepherdlove   You do realize that there are income limits in terms of how much one receives.

Why so angry?  "Waste of taxpayer money" could be a description for...........other things that happened.  Just sayin'.

So...........did you donate yours?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Cakers3 there are millions of people out there who have accumulated wealth during their working career.  How sad that this is not taken into consideration before the stimulus was handed out and based on income only; for our workforce who may be living from paycheck to paycheck or only have a month or two in savings before they're flat broke.  

@germanshepherdlove, as you surely know, it was tiered for different incomes and not given at all to those whose income was over a certain amount. an amount that really wasn't extraordinarlly high.

But the explanation for why it wasn't more sensitive to income was that that would have taken even more time to roll out.

@suzyQ3 doing a means test would have been better. No one here lost their job.  No one here was financially affected by the pandemic.  Our income does not reflect what our portfolio reflects. We are retired by choice.  smh