Respected Contributor

Re: 50 Years Ago Today.......

love the tribute @JaneMarple from one of my favs. This is human rights, not political. If any man from any side of the political aisle holds a discriminatory world view and exerts his influence in any shape or form, to practice it in any form of racism he has violated human rights.

Honored Contributor

20_Inspiration_MLK_Quotes01.jpgimages.png

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

It is being remembered around here,

how would you like the day to be marked?

Honored Contributor

If they won't honor them individually, perhaps they could recreate a national heroes day ,or something like this, that will honor all non military, that died tried to make the world a better place. I think they should be given a medal of honor, posthumously

Honored Contributor

I don't what planet some of you are living on but this day most certainly IS a day of rememberance of the assassination of a great American.  There have been tv specials and church services and public service events to honor MLK all week.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son sent me this.  Brilliant.

To be clear, what is brilliant is this insight of Dr. King.  

https://twitter.com/Justinfication/status/981622238234456064

Honored Contributor

I used to work with some people who always made a joke out of MLK Jr. Day being a National Holiday and day of remembrance and recognition.

I have zero time for people who disparage Dr. King and his legacy.  ZERO. Their ignorance and bigotry is staggering.   

Dr. King was one of the greatest and most eloquent voices for humanity, peace and understanding  in our history.

Honored Contributor

Our local stations had quite a few clips about Dr. King with pictures, quotes, and videos.

I think the 50 year mark is a milestone; we don't hear much about the killings of JFK, MLK, and RFK anymore unless the year marks a milestone.  So those milestone years are more apt to have dedicated programs.  PBS has had programs dedicated to MILK.

Since January has the MILK day, it would seem to be the day that schools teach about MLK; I know my GS's school has always had a lesson plan for that day since grade school.  Our city has the biggest march in the country on that day

For those of us who were old enough to witness the horror of the assasinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK I am sure I can speak to the fact that it was a time of such uncertainty and wondering just what is going on in our country.

Dr. Martin King Jr. surely has an place in our history, one which cannot be sanitized and forgotten.  The January dedication to MLK is a testament to the man and his accomplishments; not just to his murder.

It is amazing to me how young he was looking back now.  So much more to do and so much that didn't get accomplished.

I'm not sure what folks expected to happen on the anniversary of his murder; if we focus only on his murder then we overlook the man and his assured place in our history for his vision for all.

It's all part of who MLK was; and it's also a reminder of how distorted and twisted the 1960's were overall.  It wasn't all peace, love, and Woodstock.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

My son sent me this.  Brilliant.

To be clear, what is brilliant is this insight of Dr. King.  

https://twitter.com/Justinfication/status/981622238234456064

@golding76 Thank you for posting this.  I've never seen the interview before.  Magnificent.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Our local stations had quite a few clips about Dr. King with pictures, quotes, and videos.

I think the 50 year mark is a milestone; we don't hear much about the killings of JFK, MLK, and RFK anymore unless the year marks a milestone.  So those milestone years are more apt to have dedicated programs.  PBS has had programs dedicated to MILK.

Since January has the MILK day, it would seem to be the day that schools teach about MLK; I know my GS's school has always had a lesson plan for that day since grade school.  Our city has the biggest march in the country on that day

For those of us who were old enough to witness the horror of the assasinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK I am sure I can speak to the fact that it was a time of such uncertainty and wondering just what is going on in our country.

Dr. Martin King Jr. surely has an place in our history, one which cannot be sanitized and forgotten.  The January dedication to MLK is a testament to the man and his accomplishments; not just to his murder.

It is amazing to me how young he was looking back now.  So much more to do and so much that didn't get accomplished.

I'm not sure what folks expected to happen on the anniversary of his murder; if we focus only on his murder then we overlook the man and his assured place in our history for his vision for all.

It's all part of who MLK was; and it's also a reminder of how distorted and twisted the 1960's were overall.  It wasn't all peace, love, and Woodstock.

The focus wasn't on his murder but his message and that 50 years later not much has changed.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson