Honored Contributor

Re: 50 Years Ago Today.......

I find it odd that some on the "other" thread seem to appear to have presented the position that it is wrong for an establishment to take time out to honor a cherished American.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

MLK jr. is celebrated in January.  The children learn about him and all he has done to move all of us forward to be better people.  The schools are closed on his day and there are many programs and celebrations of his work and life.

The third Monday in January is  Federal Holiday. It is a time for all of us to reflect on MLK’s life and achievements.

The Anniversay of his death is a sad time in our history.  James Earl tried to silence him, but it had the opposite effect.  MLK jr. good works and deeds will not be forgotten.

Trusted Contributor

I remember exactly where I was when JFK, MLK and RFK

were killed. 

I was fortunate enough to see JFK when he came to CAL

Berkeley.  My high school class went to see him as a field trip.

Then, MLK at Grace Cathedral.

My husband met RFK and shook his hand.  This was when we

were very young, but experiences we will never forget.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of the remarks tha were made.  I guess some people are so small inside, it is a wonder the heart has room to beat.  I celebrate MLK myself.  I actually heard him speak, and he just soaked the air out of the room.  What  a magnificent voice.  When I see his face, I see  his passion, kindness, patience , leadership and courage.  Courage is the key word here. It was a most dangerous time for  him to speak!  His courage was remarkable.  

I know he was man with some faults.   I think however, he really personified caring for his fellow man  with a peaceful spirit, and a measure of non violence.  he opened doors that had been locked, he left them ajar for those after him to open wider.  Jmho

Trusted Contributor

I was twelve when he was assassinated and remember it vividly in the same way that I remember the deaths of JFK an RFK.  He was prophetic.  Many of the issues being fought over today were ones central to his philosophy, one strongly rooted in ideas of justice and love drawn from Christian philosophers and those of other religions.

My local PBS radio station played one of his speeches from Wesleyen Illinois in 1966 and it was powerful in his analysis. One comment from an earlier speech was powerful and focused on making neighborhoods into places for brotherhood.  I wish more people would move beyond the "I have a dream" speech and discover his other writings.  Again, they are prophetic. I tear up each time I hear his last speech in Memphis, deeply profound in its ideas about economic and social justice and his faith: ..I just want to do God's will and he has allowed me to go up to the mountain, and I have seen the promised land....I am not fearing any man...my eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

Honored Contributor

I have the button from 1964 or 65.  "We shall overcome" 

Trusted Contributor

Rev. Cecil and his wife, poet Janet (this descriptors are inadequate to describe their work with the poor, homeless, lost, forsaken, AIDS sufferers, LGBTQ needing acceptance from the 1980s onward, the hungry, etc)  truly live out the essential tenets of Christianity--to fed the hungry, care for the widows, love deeply, etc.  Each time I am in San Francisco, I am mindful of their valuable contributions.  Thanks for mentioning them.

Esteemed Contributor

MLK was a leader & a visionary way ahead of his time.To this day no one has ever come close to his greatness!! 

His words ring true all these years later & still stir our hearts & our souls to the core.

What a legacy!!

Honored Contributor

I remember the horrific assassinations of JFK, RFK and MLK, each one affected me and I cried as I watched their funerals on TV.

Martin Luther King was a non violent advocate a man whose words and actions are a part of history, an important part.  For all the positive he did for human life, for fighting injustice and racism, for giving people dignity and pushing them to be strong and fight for what is right and just, for being a role model for all people, he will always live on and his teachings should be still followed and respected. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

"Why the King of Love is Dead" 

Nina Simone

Woman Sad

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson