Honored Contributor

50 Years Ago Today - The Manson Murders

Hard to believe but yes, this happened 50 years ago today. I remember the news footage of the bodies being carried out of the house on Cielo Drive.  Such ghastly crimes, not just those at Tate's (including poor Stephen Parent who had been visiting a friend in the guest house if I recall correctly)  but the La-Biancas, and other murders some of this family committed.  

I think because it happened a half century ago (again, hard to believe) I'm going to reread Helter Skelter, prosecutor Vince Bugliosi's excellent book about the crimes for which he obtained convictions (and he was a brand new attorney then - he did a great job).  I haven't read this book since it was first published many years ago.  I think it deserves a reread.

How quickly time goes by.  Sharon and Roman's unborn child would be 50 years old (well shy of that by about a month).  What a tragedy.

Valued Contributor

Re: 50 Years Ago Today - The Manson Murders

I can’t give a source because I don’t remember it, but our local paper had an article a couple of days ago about Stephen Kay, the prosecutor. He was only 27 or 28 at the time, and he was threatened by a couple of the Manson women. He said he still looks over his shoulder to be sure he’s not being followed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I read Helter Skelter & I've always been obsessed with this

Esteemed Contributor

The whole ordeal from the murders to the trail scared me to death. Never seen anything like it at the time. 

Super Contributor

I went and saw the Quentin Tarantine movie  the other day, "One upon a time in Hollywood" and it featured the Manson murders.  But Tarentino re-wrote history for his tale.  The movie was excellent (big fan of his  movies.)

I sure wish it turned out the way QT imagined it.

Esteemed Contributor

Born and raised in Los Angeles, I remember the incident and the times.  Times were tense with youth being demonstrative of their 'bothers'. 

While growing up, neighborhoods didn't lock garage doors and left back doors unlocked.  Windows could be left open too.  After the murders, things changed drastically and never returned to the innocence and charm of the past. 

He's in a dark void now for eternity and the gals that assisted him will join him eventually. 

I've always thought Sharon Tate was a lovley female - face, body and all.  what a loss to the entertainment industry. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I was at Italy at the time of those horrific murders and happened to see the headlines in the newspaper but just in passing.  Not until I arrived home did I hear and read about the evil sick murders and was horrified.  

I too read Helter Skelter which was so frustrating and frightening.  I know if was Bugliosi's hard work and investigations which put Manson and his clan behind bars, thankfully he did his job as some law enforcement didn't.  It was a great read but not one I would pick up again, too gruesome and it affected me.

It was a long time ago but remains one of the worst murder sprees in our history.

Honored Contributor

It's hard to believe it's been 50 years and that I was 7 years old when it happened.  I suppose it's because I grew up with it and the story never really left the news or the nation's consiousness. It feels like I remember it.  No, there is no way I would ever revisit the horror of a crime like that by reading the book.  To what end?  I don't enjoy immersing myself in the macabre and if I want to, there crimes that are every bit as bad, or worse, in the news now.  

Esteemed Contributor

Hard to believe it has been that long......I'm going to reread my paperback too @Pearlee ...

Honored Contributor

I remember vividly exactly where I was (home not too far removed from the crime scene) and that time of my life.  Culturally, in Los Angeles - a zeitgeist of despair and shock.  

What really affects me regarding this event is how precious and tenuous our lives are.  Senseless murders that one would never have suspected....these events happen daily to people to a lesser/greater degree.  Every day is a gift....50 years is a lot of days and I need to make the most of each one.