Respected Contributor

Re: 50 Years Ago Today - The Manson Murders

I find the entire Manson saga one of the most fascinating news events of my lifetime.  His biography of growing up and never having any stability in his life and being in n out of boys homes, jails, arrests, - he just never stood a chance of ever having any normalcy in his life.

Then the whole Family thing and from the lessons he learned in prison recruiting all these other wayward youths to join him in his bizarre beliefs. 

CNN had a story today about some detectives still trying to figure out if the Family members were responsible for even more murders/deaths of unsolved cases in California during that time frame.  It just goes on and on....50 years later.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A little OT...the summer of ‘69 saw so many memorable events.  In no particular order...the moon landing, Woodstock, the Manson murders (Tate and friends and LaBiancas), Chappaquiddick, and the famous photo for the Beatles’ Abbey Road album was taken (50 years ago yesterday).  Was there ever another summer like it?!!

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I can't stand watching Manson's face.  He grew up fending for himself and had a tought life.  Very street smart, he used those girls in his pack.  They were naive and it was the time of year of free love.  He gave them drugs and hallucinating drugs and brainwashed them.  It was so savage what they did to Sharon Tate and her baby and friends.  So very sad.  I had it on and turned it off.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

Hard to believe but yes, this happened 50 years ago today. I remember the news footage of the bodies being carried out of the house on Cielo Drive.  Such ghastly crimes, not just those at Tate's (including poor Stephen Parent who had been visiting a friend in the guest house if I recall correctly)  but the La-Biancas, and other murders some of this family committed.  

I think because it happened a half century ago (again, hard to believe) I'm going to reread Helter Skelter, prosecutor Vince Bugliosi's excellent book about the crimes for which he obtained convictions (and he was a brand new attorney then - he did a great job).  I haven't read this book since it was first published many years ago.  I think it deserves a reread.

How quickly time goes by.  Sharon and Roman's unborn child would be 50 years old (well shy of that by about a month).  What a tragedy.

@Pearlee   

MANSON: THE WOMEN PREMIERES AUGUST 10TH AT 7/6C

I agree re Vincent's book, and I so admired his command of the English language, all but gone now except for those of a generation that was taught proper grammar.  I was fascinated everytime he spoke.

Respected Contributor

At the time I lived not too far from the murders. Manson had been seen in our area and suspected of other murders here.

My ex had a rigging axe for work and put it by our bed.

The whole thing was horrifying.

Honored Contributor

I found it interesting as it focused on the women and less on Manson.  The women in prison deserve to be put away for life for the horrible crimes they committed. No blaming Manson.... yes he was deranged and sick......still, no one can force someone to murder.  They CHOSE to murder.  

Yes, They were brainwashed.....but they allowed themselves to be in that situation where they had plenty of opportunity to leave the family.  They could have left the scene  before entering the homes of the  murder victims.....and ran away.   But they CHOSE to be there.  

Respected Contributor

That horrific event put a fear into me and I still have difficulty sleeping. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looks like they got too much sun.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower : The only weird skin I saw was wrinkled (They are all closing in on 70; it happends).

Trusted Contributor

This family always scared me so much! Every time I saw a picture of HIM l shuddered. 

For years l lived near Marcy, New York, where Squeaky Fromme relocated...and the thought of running into her in a store, etc. scared me because l knew l would know her. After reading how she still feels...l find her to still be a troubled person. Glad l don't live near her anymore!!! 

I didn't watch this program and I'm glad l didn't know it was on! I am their age and l can't imagine me getting involved in a group like that. He was an evil person indeed.