Honored Contributor

Re: 5 year old child breaks $130,000 art piece

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would say Mom should sue.  

@Isobel Archer

I’ve been saying that almost 5 days & 400+ posts ago (post#15).

I feel she has a really good case...especially due to the

amount & social media presence. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain

i do consider it disrespectful when someone continues to use the term "ignorance" and then takes it over to another thread also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@occasionalrain

i do consider it disrespectful when someone continues to use the term "ignorance" and then takes it over to another thread also.

I agree, @sunshine45, there have been numerous disrespectful, personal insults (some of which were removed).    Also there's a pervasive use of sarcasm -- snarkasm.   Sarcasm's etymology means "to tear flesh" and unfortunately it often conveys a tone of contempt or a verbal sneer.    If our intent is to insult, mock, or try to demean...   well, then, sarcasm does the trick.   But if our intent is to present a perspective in a way that others might consider it, sarcasm is poison, toxic,  and it pushes the other person away from even trying to hear and consider our point of view.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

There has been no name calling, no accusations of hating children. The only ones complaining are those who wish to place blame on the gallery and construct barriers around art.

We all come from different backgrounds with different ways of expressing ourselves. Ignorance means nothing more than not knowing and sarcasm is an accepted form of stating one's case. Both are in general use and not everyone finds them offensive. 

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@occasionalrain

@sunshine45 Since when is "ignorance" an insult?  Words have definitions.  It means lacking knowledge or information.  If I call someone who over the course of several posts admits that they have no knowledge of insurance policies "ignorant," then I am using the word appropriately.  Am I the only one who sees the irony of me having to explain what the word "ignorance" means???

Honored Contributor

Ignorant and ignorance have long been fighting words on this particular forum, @TenderMercies.  

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

There has been no name calling, no accusations of hating children. The only ones complaining are those who wish to place blame on the gallery and construct barriers around art.

We all come from different backgrounds with different ways of expressing ourselves. Ignorance means nothing more than not knowing and sarcasm is an accepted form of stating one's case. Both are in general use and not everyone finds them offensive. 

There has been PLENTY of complaining by those who blame the mother, and don't blame the gallery at all.

Honored Contributor

Ignorant according to Webster’s online, can be from lack of knowledge or from lack of intelligence. It also cautions use of the word because it has polite and non-polite interpretations. “Saying ‘You are an ignorant person’ is possibly describing someone as primitive, crude, or uncivilized.”