Honored Contributor

Re: 5 guys opened up at my mall

I like 5 Guys. I like to pick out my toppings. And the especially like the fries. 

A Steak 'n Shake opened up nearby on January 17, 2019. And closed the day after it opened because of a fire. It has not opened up since the fire.

I have never heard of Shake Shack.

Honored Contributor

Five Guys burgers are good and you don't have to get a double patty. You just get the 'small'. I don't know how they compare to Shake Shack, which I've never had. Around here anyway, Five Guys has the absolute best fries, hands down. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

We have Five Guys all around us. LOVE them! They are clean, their CS is great, and the burgers are so good. Their milkshakes and hot dogs are good too. My one friend orders the "lettuce burger," where they will give you a burger wrapped in a lettuce leaf. DH enjoys relaxing with the all-you-can-eat peanuts in shells. Ours has scoops for the peanuts - I've never seen anyone putting their hands in to get some out. DD likes the grilled cheese, and I always order a "little" cheeseburger. They will call out "one patty, two patties." I don't think they're expensive at all, and I also don't find them greasy. I'm fussy about that and would not eat there if they were. 

Their fries are very similar to "boardwalk fries." They have malt vinegar to put on them too! 

We have been to them in other states too, and the quality is the same. If you do some research you'll find they are usually top rated; the one near us is. I think they're open every day except Christmas Day. 

I really like Shake Shack too, but there is not one near us. It's been a while, but I did order a burger there, and I would say it's very similar to what I get at Five Guys. Those who are more familiar with both places would have a better idea. We're getting a Steak and Shake not too far away from us. I've never been to one, but I'm sure we'll be trying it! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I like Five Guys. The one at my mall stays pretty steady. If you don't like paying separately for things it's a negative, but their burgers and fries are tasty.
Respected Contributor

I need to go to bed.

I thought this said 5 guys opened up my mail!

I almost said well I hope they got caught.

I went to 5 guys once it was good. 

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I prefer Shake Shack.  Better buns (potato) and better quality ground beef.

Me too.  

I think 5 Guys burgers have a weird smell and an odd taste.  I'm not picky at all about food, and I like burgers from pretty much anywhere, but 5 Guys is off my list for sure.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I like 5 Guys. I like to pick out my toppings. And the especially like the fries. 

A Steak 'n Shake opened up nearby on January 17, 2019. And closed the day after it opened because of a fire. It has not opened up since the fire.

Shake Shack started out in New York as a Hamburger place and just started growing.  They are upscale in decor.  They have a pool table there.  Indoor and outdoor seating.  Gourmet meat.  Always fresh food. Think of it as a swanky or upscale McDonalds. But they don't taste fast food.   They re closest rivals to 5 Guys and In & Out Burgers.  They are scattered across the country now.  They have stores in China, Australia, etc.  In and Our Burgers are only in Western states.  Texas is as far as they've gone.  All of these food places started out as an alternative to McDonalds

Honored Contributor

I tried it for the first time yesterday.  I won't be back.  I admit, the fries were very good but my burger was small, bun was mushy and soft so when the toppings went on it became a soft mess.  The bacon was over cooked too.  

Valued Contributor

Never have eaten one of thier burgers. The best burgers I've eaten were from Douglas Hamburgers and Good old Tommy's Burgers both in California Woman Very Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Shake Shack started out in New York as a Hamburger place and just started growing.  They are upscale in decor.  They have a pool table there.  Indoor and outdoor seating.  Gourmet meat.  Always fresh food. Think of it as a swanky or upscale McDonalds. But they don't taste fast food.   They re closest rivals to 5 Guys and In & Out Burgers.  They are scattered across the country now.  They have stores in China, Australia, etc.  In and Our Burgers are only in Western states.  Texas is as far as they've gone.  All of these food places started out as an alternative to McDonalds

Isn't that weird. I live right outside Philadelphia, PA. And I never heard of Shake Shack and we often go to upstate PA and into New York.

But yet a Steak n Shake which it's headquarters are in Indianapolis, Indiana, was built a few miles from my house. I guess it will just be a matter of time. We seem to have just about every food establishment within 10 miles of our house.