Honored Contributor

I think I once had had a burger from them when I was in DC. Can't remember how I liked it.  But now 5 guys is at my mall, not far from the Shake Shack.  I  love the burgers at Shake Shack.  How do they compare?

Honored Contributor

Re: 5 guys opened up at my mall

[ Edited ]

I prefer Shake Shack.  Better buns (potato) and better quality ground beef.

Respected Contributor

5 Guys is expensive and they use peanut oil so I cannot go there.  Peanut allergy. 

Respected Contributor

never been to a 5 guys, but i hear that they are good. 

Honored Contributor

We just returned from a trip to Barcelona and I was surprised to see a 5 Guys there across the street from the Sagreda Familia.  It was very crowded but not as crowded as the McDonald's on the same street.

It was our first time there and the hamburger was huge--double patties--too much for us.  Would only go back if there were no other options.

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

5 Guys is expensive and they use peanut oil so I cannot go there.  Peanut allergy. 

i just pulled up their menu. burgers range from 5-7 dollars.  i don't think that is expensive at all.  do they cook their fries in peanut oil? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw a couple of reviews at youtube.  Shake Shack seems to be the better option.  Gourmet beef  and never frozen, always fresh and very fresh ingredients.  5 Guys has fresh beef also and a bigger menu.   Price wise about the same.....though Shake Shack is slightly higher.  They had high praise for In and Out Burger.  That's a behemoth chain in California & states out West.  I loved them when I was out there.  Don't think they are coming East.  One review had them in Texas.  So maybe they're coming!  One reason they're not past Texas is that the burgers (like Shake Shack) are fresh, not frozen.  Maybe getting to the warehouses for meat?

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo  Yes, you are correct - if the burgers are double $5-7 is a good price; not expensive.  and also Yes, they do cook their fries in peanut oil.

Trusted Contributor

Two opened in my town about 7 years ago. I heard all this hype and we went to try it. I thought they sucked. Tasteless and everything dripping with grease. There were sacks of peanuts out witih everyone sticking their grubby hands in them. No thanks. I don't see how they stay in business.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

I saw a couple of reviews at youtube.  Shake Shack seems to be the better option.  Gourmet beef  and never frozen, always fresh and very fresh ingredients.  5 Guys has fresh beef also and a bigger menu.   Price wise about the same.....though Shake Shack is slightly higher.  They had high praise for In and Out Burger.  That's a behemoth chain in California & states out West.  I loved them when I was out there.  Don't think they are coming East.  One review had them in Texas.  So maybe they're coming!  One reason they're not past Texas is that the burgers (like Shake Shack) are fresh, not frozen.  Maybe getting to the warehouses for meat?

@songbird

Yep 5 Guys opened up 3 places in our Texas city awhile back....But Whataburger is thē preferred burger place here......

It's an odd place where 5 Guys put there first place too---right in the midst of all the competition...we call it fast food alley....the street has a McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell, Sonic, and Wendy's....across the street is Burger King, Wild Wings, Bill Millers BBQ......And Whataburger is in the next block down the street

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”