Frequent Contributor

Imagine going to Macy's or any other clothing store and being charged $10 to try on each item.  That's basically what QVC is doing.  If I order a piece of clothing I have to pay $3 shipping.  If the item doesn't fit or is of poor quality, I have to spend $6.95 to ship it back.  I am done ordering clothing from QVC.  My last purchase was an RFID wallet.  It looked like someone had used it and sent it back.  It cost me $9.95 to send the wallet back.  Outrageous!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: $5 Shipping on Gili Jeans?

If the wallet you received had been used, you could have returned it as defective and you would not have been charged your return shipping, I believe.

Esteemed Contributor

An explanation really shouldn't be necessary - but I'll bite.  QVC is not charging you $3.00 or $5.00 to try something.  There's a thing called 'shipping' as in getting what you want from point A to point B (you).  When in store you can immediately touch a item and try it on.  If you don't like - just hang it back on the rack and walk out of the store. 

Super Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

An explanation really shouldn't be necessary - but I'll bite.  QVC is not charging you $3.00 or $5.00 to try something.  There's a thing called 'shipping' as in getting what you want from point A to point B (you).  When in store you can immediately touch a item and try it on.  If you don't like - just hang it back on the rack and walk out of the store. 

The OP has a point. Maybe I'll bite and try to clarify what I think is being said. There are plenty of sites that offer free shipping and returns. Sure, the cost is absorbed into the price of the item and sure, we don't have to shop at QVC. In essence, paying to try things on is what we are doing if we choose to shop at QVC.

Respected Contributor

I shop a lot online and every place charges shipping and return shipping.  I have yet to find someplace that doesn't charge you to return an item.  And, some places charge more than QVC.

You know what the cost is before you buy an item and you know the possibility is there that you might have to return it.  Just shop at brick and mortar stores going forward.

Honored Contributor

And to add to @fthunt, imagine paying to drive to Macys and find absolutely nothing even worth trying on!  That has been my experience several times lately. 

At least at Nordstrom, I've found a few things to try on, but expenditures there for the past 6 months -  $0.00 -- not at all excited by what I've seen.  Two days ago, I paid to drive my car there and return the one top I had purchased.  Then I tried on two tops from their sale rack and learned within four seconds each why they were on sale.   Yes, it was cheaper than QVC, but I had to get dressed, drive my car, etc. 

There's a great mall very close to my condo here in southern Florida, so I tend to shop here when I can.  Once I return to Long Island for the summer, shopping means at least a 35 minute drive into heavy traffic -  makes QVC and other online retailers look really good!

You pay one way or another -  with money, with time, with interest --and we each have to make our own choices.

Respected Contributor

When you shop online, that's the risk you take. If you don't want to pay for shipping or returning it from QVC, then you'll need to shop in person for things.
Honored Contributor

@Blackcatmom wrote:

Imagine going to Macy's or any other clothing store and being charged $10 to try on each item.  That's basically what QVC is doing.  If I order a piece of clothing I have to pay $3 shipping.  If the item doesn't fit or is of poor quality, I have to spend $6.95 to ship it back.  I am done ordering clothing from QVC.  My last purchase was an RFID wallet.  It looked like someone had used it and sent it back.  It cost me $9.95 to send the wallet back.  Outrageous!!!

No, not the same at all.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

And to add to @fthunt, imagine paying to drive to Macys and find absolutely nothing even worth trying on!  That has been my experience several times lately. 

At least at Nordstrom, I've found a few things to try on, but expenditures there for the past 6 months -  $0.00 -- not at all excited by what I've seen.  Two days ago, I paid to drive my car there and return the one top I had purchased.  Then I tried on two tops from their sale rack and learned within four seconds each why they were on sale.   Yes, it was cheaper than QVC, but I had to get dressed, drive my car, etc. 

@millieshops - That has been my experience too.  I rather pay the shipping charges to return an item.  I hate shopping in malls and the selection is terrible.  I walk around and walk around and come home with nothing. 

There's a great mall very close to my condo here in southern Florida, so I tend to shop here when I can.  Once I return to Long Island for the summer, shopping means at least a 35 minute drive into heavy traffic -  makes QVC and other online retailers look really good!

You pay one way or another -  with money, with time, with interest --and we each have to make our own choices.

Regular Contributor

@Winkk Really? There are a good handful of stores that offer free returns, including many items on Amazon (just have to look for the "FREE RETURN" stamp by where it also says "FREE SHIPPING."). Zappos and Sephora come to mind, though I suppose this thread is more about clothing.

Now, I don't expect stores to have free returns, but I do think it's a bit greedy and behind-the-times for thems to almost never offer free shipping and then act like they're such heroes the few times they do, when other sites have day-in, day-out free shipping.

At least Q lowered its shipping. It was so ridiculous how they'd rave about a $20 shirt, then charge a third of the price in shipping.