Trusted Contributor
For me it is the beginning of summer. I love these long days. We live near a beautiful lake and the city has a lot of activities!
Respected Contributor

where i was raised (upstate NY) we were in school till late june (just as terrier posted).  so ... july 4th was a real 'beginning' for us. also because it was still SO COLD when memorial day came by,  usually 4th of july was the first time it REALLY felt like summer.   

now, here in florida, ... well july 4th is still a beginning, because summer seems to last through october and november! 

Honored Contributor

To me the first day of summer being June 21 - July 4th is just the beginning. In Florida we have summer weather up until Dec. so it's a long way to go.

We do enjoy fall and will usually take a vacation up north in Oct or Nov  to get to enjoy a taste of fall. However, we keep it short, as the cold plays havoc with my arthritis.

Honored Contributor

Here in Westchester County NY school just ended late last week, Thursday or Friday depending on the district. July 4 is just the start of Summer

@151949 wrote:

To me the first day of summer being June 21 - July 4th is just the beginning. In Florida we have summer weather up until Dec. so it's a long way to go.

We do enjoy fall and will usually take a vacation up north in Oct or Nov  to get to enjoy a taste of fall. However, we keep it short, as the cold plays havoc with my arthritis.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Once July 4th starts, it's a signal that summer is almost over.

We went back to school shopping yesterday for my daughter's dorm.  We put a huge dent in the list.

Respected Contributor

To me, Memorial Day always signaled the beginning of summer, July 4th is the midpoint, and Labor Day is the end.   

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Highlighted
Contributor
I live in California and I work in the schools which ended here May 28. Summer is half over for me in terms of vacation. It will be hot here into October. School starts here Aug. 19 and my daughters college starts Aug. 20. When I was a kid, we didn't start school until after Labor Day, but the first day of school has since been pushed back quite a bit haha
Regular Contributor
That is the way I have always looked at it too Marienkaefer. This year the weather has been so odd it hasn't really felt like summer, though it is better than last year. CH
Respected Contributor
To me summer just started. It is going to be a hot summer! It already has been hot. After Labor Day, I feel summer is over.
Respected Contributor

When I was a student (back when we had to run from the dinosaurs to get there) we started school on the first day after Labor Day.

Now, here in Louisiana, we begin the first week of August when the heat is almost at its worst. I have no idea why. But I guess it has something to do with the hurricane possibility. Kids can wear shorts to school now, which helps a bit with the heat, but they must be at least fingertip length. No Daisy Dukes.

Anyway, our stores have been full of back to school things (and clothes) for a couple of weeks now.