Honored Contributor

I always consider this the 1/2 point of  our warm season(spring/summer) even though I know summer has only begun

At the end of the month the days begin to shorten once more and school is just around the corner

Am I the only one who thinks like this? (probably!)

Honored Contributor

Hi Cherry, for us July 4th was usually one of the first weeks of summer vacation.  Generally we were in school until late June and were assured school would be over by July. In NJ the warm weather hangs on thru (at least) the end of September.

Have a great weekend. (it looks like another stinker here)

Honored Contributor

Re: 4th of July

[ Edited ]

Remember the feast of John the Baptist is sometime in late July.(25 perhaps) It is the 1/2 point to the winter solstice and the nativity. John said of himself, I must decrease, He(Christ) must increase.

ETA the feast of John the Baptist is the longest day of the year, after this the days begin to shorten.

Esteemed Contributor

No ,you are not alone,I feel the same as you do.

Trusted Contributor

I went to Staples yesterday and they are loaded with products for the next school year.  I said to someone that July 4 is basically the end of summer; this person disagreed with me, but after that date schools start ratcheting up for the teachers to come back in early to mid-August, vacations dwindle, and of course, like you said, the days are getting shorter.

Honored Contributor

Re: 4th of July

[ Edited ]

Labor Day is the end of summer to me....school  usually starts in the next few days.

Canada has a great holiday - Civic Holiday - a Monday at the beginning of August. Why? Just because August is a nice month to have a long weekend!

Honored Contributor

I was just telling a lady at the bank yesterday that for me July 4th is the "hump" part of the summer the same way Wedensday is for the week.  I am so ready because I am a FALL Girl, love Thanksgiving/turkey/Football.  All three just around the corner after many many 100+ hot days in Texas. 

Sitll look forward to spending July 4th with my son and his sweet family.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor
I've always thought after July 4th the summer goes so fast. Stores start showing fall clothing. College kids are getting ready with all the things they need. School supplies are in abundance. Moms are really counting the days the kids go back to school to save their sanity!!
Honored Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

I went to Staples yesterday and they are loaded with products for the next school year.  I said to someone that July 4 is basically the end of summer; this person disagreed with me, but after that date schools start ratcheting up for the teachers to come back in early to mid-August, vacations dwindle, and of course, like you said, the days are getting shorter.

I was in Target the other day and they had all the summer/seasonal things pushed back against the wall and they were setting up the school supply display.  I couldn't believe it.  School starts in my county on August 3rd, which is absurdly early.  Call me old fashioned, but I don't see the buying of school supplies as a 7 week event.  Y

You get the list from the school and go about a week before hand and you're done.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Here, Hobby Lobby has major displays and product for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  The summer stuff is back in the clearance corner.