Honored Contributor

I bought last year 2 buntings to tie onto our front porch railings. It’s tasteful. My garden sized American flag goes up too; probably this weekend.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I think a week before is just fine. I usually just put mine up a few days before because it is usually raining here where I live!! Then I take them down the next morning. 

Esteemed Contributor

No decorations of any kind, or flag.

My patriotism is in my heart, not what's in front of my home.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

dread it every yr. they start few days early with the boom boom, then, go for broke late on the 4th, then, keep at it for a few days after the 4th.

One yr they were still at it till 1a.m. I called the law that night.

thankfully, last yr they must have ran out of money getting to expensive.

Isn't it the truth... The firecrackers that do nothing but make noise are just plain stupid... As for fireworks, some of them are pretty, but if you've seen them then you've seen them... I guess I just don't find the so amazing that I need to see them for what is now pretty much any and every occasion...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb 

Those are the only two I put things out for too.   I barely get that done anymore.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

I don't decorate for 4th of July.

I don't either... No summer or other holiday decor either, just fall and Christmas...

Nor do I, for any season or holiday. I have some beautifully lush pots of annuals on my deck and that's the extent of my "decorating". Just one less thing that I have find a place to store. 

@FrostyBabe1  I absolutely agree and think you've got it right... We're all different, can do what we want and with absolutely no intent to offend anyone, but the notion of all these red white and blue accoutrement, flags and bunting and so on, just seems like overkill to me... I also don't want or need Yankee Doodle Dandy playing from a loudspeaker in the yard to alert the neighborhood that it's the 4th of July... And the notion of leaving that stuff up all summer just flummoxes me... As I said, though, each to their own...

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@stevieb 

Those are the only two I put things out for too.   I barely get that done anymore.

@Bridgegal  It does seem to be more of a challenge every year... Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:
Should the American flag be taken down during a rain storm? Most flags sold nowadays are all-weather flags (refer to the packaging). These are permitted to fly during inclement weather, according to the Flag Code.
Flag Code FAQ part 1: general questions - USHistory.org

I did not know this, thanks for posting it.  We probably do have an all-weather flag since it is a newer flag.  We'll still take it down at sunset.

Honored Contributor

Right before Memorial Day weekend for Patriotic decorations until Labor Day.  Does not specify July 4th only America.  Then start up with Halloween and continue on through Easter and start over with the RED WHITE and BLUE.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."