Valued Contributor

4th of July Message From a Veteran

From a FB post:

If you know of someone in your neighborhood who is a combat veteran, please launch your louder fireworks elsewhere.

Know how dogs & cats hide from fireworks because of the loud noises? Now picture a human wanting to do the same thing, except that they're also having flashbacks of gunfire, bombs, etc. and trying to survive the day. Some will relive the horror of those moments as if they were back in the war zone.

One of our vets is spreading awareness and letting neighbors know about PTSD veterans and fireworks. This is getting much needed circulation folks, please keep it going.

Thank you,
Victor
Honored Contributor

Re: 4th of July Message From a Veteran

Excellent point!

Respected Contributor

There have been times when I thought about how it might affect veterans and others with PTSD. {#emotions_dlg.sad} Great reminder, Marp. Thanks for sharing.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

Mike Whiter, a former US Marines Staff Sergeant who has spoken out before for those with PTSD explained what the experience on the 4th is like for him.

I used to love fireworks. Now the flashes and the explosions trigger my anxiety. There have been times when I jump and forget where I am for a minute. It’s a physiological reaction. My heart starts to race, I start to sweat and I go into full fledged fight or flight mode. It’s not as bad if I’m anticipating it, but even then, I can’t be around too many people or I start to get panicky and angry. In recent years, instead of going out, I just sit in my living room and crank the tv up.

This is one of the reasons why it’s important for citizens to follow community guidelines for fireworks displays. It may seem like shooting off a few firecrackers a week after the holiday is no big deal, but it may be a terrifying trigger for someone nearby not expecting it.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Thanks, Marp. I never made that connection. It's a message that should be spread far & wide.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

I like to look at fireworks, but I hate the loud ones.

Valued Contributor

What a wonderful post and reminder Marp!!

Honored Contributor

My neighborhood has a large number of Vietnam vets. Good reminder and something that may not occur to someone.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting this !