Respected Contributor

July 4 is usually just another day for us.  We never do anything special so I guess it doesn't matter to us.  Sorry for those of you who will miss things you enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@michellegirl wrote:

I agree with you @Sooner . If they expect the virus to resurface in the Fall, then Summer is a MUCH-NEEDED RESPITE for those of us who are going stir-crazy. Sunshine & fresh air is good for the immune system. Frankly, our Governor has not made the case to persuade me that July 4th Fireworks and other summer festivals are justified in being cancelled this summer. Our numbers are going down and testing capacity far exceeds our state's goal. Additionally, 95% of our hospitals affirm that they can treat all patients without crisis standards of care. Based on the facts at hand, it doesn't make sense to me to cancel all summer festivities.

@michellegirl, the respite you would like will potentially cause the resurgence and/or make it far worse. And there is no proof that sunshine or outside air does anything but lift the spirits.

Of all things to fret about, I think that large gatherings are the least important.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@michellegirl wrote:

I agree with you @Sooner . If they expect the virus to resurface in the Fall, then Summer is a MUCH-NEEDED RESPITE for those of us who are going stir-crazy. Sunshine & fresh air is good for the immune system. Frankly, our Governor has not made the case to persuade me that July 4th Fireworks and other summer festivals are justified in being cancelled this summer. Our numbers are going down and testing capacity far exceeds our state's goal. Additionally, 95% of our hospitals affirm that they can treat all patients without crisis standards of care. Based on the facts at hand, it doesn't make sense to me to cancel all summer festivities.

@michellegirl, the respite you would like will potentially cause the resurgence and/or make it far worse. And there is no proof that sunshine or outside air does anything but lift the spirits.

Of all things to fret about, I think that large gatherings are the least important.

Actually there are a couple studies that are showing that direct sunlight does kill the virus on both surfaces and in the air.  They are doing more tests now to further confirm the findings.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.