Honored Contributor
Cancelling seems premature..,and you can watch fireworks from anywhere...even your own back yard
Honored Contributor

Re: 4th of July Cancelled?

[ Edited ]

There will always be those who won’t get a vaccine...,just like those who refuse to get a flu shot. Unless 100% of us get a vaccine I don’t think the virus will just go away. I am not keen on being a guinea pig for a vaccine that is put on the market in a couple of months instead of the usual couple of years.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Cancelling seems premature..,and you can watch fireworks from anywhere...even your own back yard

@lovesrecess  Can't see our town fireworks from our backyard. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
Local news did a story today announcing that the annual Lilly Family reunion has been cancelled this year! That is a HUGE announcement for this area, as Lilly reunions have been a major event in Raleigh County, WV for 90 years. These reunions bring in thousands of people; they have their own property with a concession stand, bathrooms, a stage, picnic shelters, camping access, etc. It's a big deal!

@RedTop 

I apologise for the interruption of this thread, but how is your mom doing with everything that is going on?

I have been thinking of the two of you during these trying times.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor
I was speaking for myself....we can see a fireworks show that a small airport does each year that is just three miles away. We watch it from our back yard. I would think big ones that are done over the river in Boston or DC could still be done and people could watch them from wherever was safely away from crowds of people.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I was speaking for myself....we can see a fireworks show that a small airport does each year that is just three miles away. We watch it from our back yard. I would think big ones that are done over the river in Boston or DC could still be done and people could watch them from wherever was safely away from crowds of people.

@lovesrecess  That's why people gather in Boston and DC. Because they cannot be seen from their homes. Did you see the flyovers last week with the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds? Crowds galore. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

It's stupid to cancel fireworks displays, and it's stupid to cancel a lot of things.  Good grief we cant stay isolated forever.  What's the point?  

Take precautions, evaluate risks for yourself, but to make laws, cancel all public events, etc.  Can't get a haircut?  In the USA?  

Most of the counties in my state are barely impacted by it.  But to heck with them. . . I guess.  

@Sooner  Then I question what your state has not reopened. I see other states have started. Restaurants,beauty parlors,etc. are all open. Why hasn't your state? 

@proudlyfromNJ  For an interesting situation google Norman Oklahoma Mayor and churches reopening.  It involves lawsuits, federal courts, our Attorney General and letters from a Federal Judge.

It will be interesting for you I think!  

Esteemed Contributor

The Canada Day celebrations are cancelled here in Canada and so are all public gatherings like folk festivals, summer fairs, concerts, sporting events, and conventions -- probably for at least a year if not longer.

Nobody is taking transit here in the greater Vancouver area and even when stores and businesses re-open, a lot of people won't take public transit again. My daughter plans to drive to work once the vet clinic she works in recalls her.

Not only are there questions about the cleanliness of busses and the skytrain, but there's also been an uptick in racist gestures and graffiti aimed at asian men and women so frankly I don't think it's very safe for my daughter to ride public transit anymore.

Frequent Contributor

I agree with you @Sooner . If they expect the virus to resurface in the Fall, then Summer is a MUCH-NEEDED RESPITE for those of us who are going stir-crazy. Sunshine & fresh air is good for the immune system. Frankly, our Governor has not made the case to persuade me that July 4th Fireworks and other summer festivals are justified in being cancelled this summer. Our numbers are going down and testing capacity far exceeds our state's goal. Additionally, 95% of our hospitals affirm that they can treat all patients without crisis standards of care. Based on the facts at hand, it doesn't make sense to me to cancel all summer festivities.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Thank you for thinking of me, and my mom.  She continues to slide further into the dark abyss of dementia, and I can see her days in her home are growing short.   Of course mom thinks she’s just fine!   

Mom is somewhat aware of the coronavirus; her comprehension abilities are greatly reduced at this point, but she is aware of our safety precautions.   Mom does not leave the safety of her home.