Honored Contributor

The 4th of July celebration near us, has already been cancelled we found out yesterday!  Was surprised since I thought they mite decide next month.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I guess they wisely determined this pandemic is not going away in 2 months.  It could, in fact, get worse as people throw caution to the wind.  We're going to have to live with strict limitations until a safe, effective vaccine is found.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Many near us were canceled a few weeks ago already.  There is still one big 4th of July festival that hasn't been canceled yet which I'm surprised about.  I guess its just a matter of time.  Summer hasn't even started but I feel like its already canceled this year.

Esteemed Contributor

My understanding is that many communities are cancelling 4th of July fireworks.  In addition to the social distancing issue, these displays are expensive and largely financed by local businesses (many of whom have no spare money and are even declaring bankruptcy).

Esteemed Contributor

Many fairs and fireworks display companies probably have cancellation dates.  With so much uncertainty it may be best to cancel and get deposits back.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Well, the actual 4th of July hasn't been cancelled although celebrations may be. Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

The 4th of July celebration near us, has already been cancelled we found out yesterday!  Was surprised since I thought they mite decide next month.

Oh, how I wish it would be cancelled here, and no selling of fireworks. I know that is selfish, but my poor dogs just go bananas. Its hell for weeks, because of some of the neighbors.

Honored Contributor

I was amused yesterday when the City of Albuquerque announced there will be no summer day camp activities and pools won't open.  Instead they're assembling kits containing craft activities, complete with s'mores, to hand out.  Poor substitute, IMO.  I suppose they'll cancel the big fireworks exhibit at Balloon Fiesta Park which draws huge crowds.  Very sad.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

It was announced yesterday that our local 4th of July celebrations, as well as summer park activities have also been cancelled.  That will not stop individuals from lighting off fireworks, though.

Last year there seemed to be a competition in all 4 directions from me - I was right in the middle.  Best fireworks display I have ever seen!

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I guess they wisely determined this pandemic is not going away in 2 months.  It could, in fact, get worse as people throw caution to the wind.  We're going to have to live with strict limitations until a safe, effective vaccine is found.

Some are. The Governor of Missouri has determined that concerts can begin on Monday. Thankfully, none of the venues and concert organizers have decided that's a no for them. I can't imagine anyone wants to be the music act or venue that gets traced to a COVID-19 outbreak.