Super Contributor

Re: 48 Hours of Lousy Programing

What do you like to watch instead? 48 hours of Dell, ladders, vacuums, cookware or temptations??? I personally think 24-48 hours of ANYTHING is too much. How about 2 hours at most....

Respected Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.lol} I guess there just isn't anything else to do on a lovely May weekend, huh?

Respected Contributor

Not a lovely May weekend where I live.

Respected Contributor

On 5/16/2014 scotttie said:

Not a lovely May weekend where I live.

Sorry to hear that. But surely there are other things to do than sit in front of the tv?

Super Contributor

I hear you, OP. I think there is a larger problem, namely that QVC has reduced the overall number (and variety) of products that it offers, leading to less variety in programming. And, yes, I do have other things to do on a May weekend, but when I'm home, I like to have QVC or HSN on in the background. That being said, no one here owes anyone else here a explanation for how they choose to spend their days, and I don't see the need for a pile-on of the OP just for stating her views.
Respected Contributor

For me it seems that the few times I DO watch QVC these days the fun has gone out of it. QVC used to be entertaining as well as selling. Maybe they didn't want people watching without buying.

They used to have sets that looked not so ""sterile"" and commercial. I fondly remember the ""pub"" they had for the Irish shows and the pretty sets for Kirks Folly.

Just doesn't seem like the same channel that I began watching a few years ago.

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 scotttie said:

For me it seems that the few times I DO watch QVC these days the fun has gone out of it. QVC used to be entertaining as well as selling. Maybe they didn't want people watching without buying.

They used to have sets that looked not so "sterile" and commercial. I fondly remember the "pub" they had for the Irish shows and the pretty sets for Kirks Folly.

Just doesn't seem like the same channel that I began watching a few years ago.

scotttie, thanks for the support. My mom has been watching Q longer than me (and I have for probably almost 15 years) and she has said the same thing about the changes. She thinks the sets (especially at holiday time) aren't as nice as they were many years ago (except when Valerie does one, they are to die for). She has noticed that there is not as much fun either.

It seemed like in the past, there were anniversary celebrations when hosts reached a milestone year, with old clips and such, but I don't see things like that now. And since I'm getting so beat up over Christmas programming. We often have Q on during Christmas eve and Christmas night because it used to be filled with stories being read to children by vendors, hosts singing or cooking together with their kids, David reading The Night Before Christmas, something really nice on in the background as we prepare for the holiday and wind down after everyone is gone. The last couple of years, it has been just selling but not live. They used to give the feel that for at least 24 hours, they weren't selling to you, but not so much anymore.

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 mominohio said:

Another 48 hour stretch of nothing but clothes, jewelry, and beauty. This happens way too often to suit me, so I won't be spending any money for a couple of days! It seems like this is happening more and more often.

And people have the nerve to complain when we get 24 hours of cooking a couple of time a year or one weekend of Christmas in July each year.

QVC PLEASE balance your programming out better than this. I have nothing against a 24 hour event of any kind, but days on end of the same clothing, jewelry, handbags, shoes and beauty bores so many of us. We'll maybe get a day off from it and then it's back to 70% of the shows being that same stuff again. We'd like to see more variety in daily programming.

Have you got anything to time shift your programming? If not they can be bought relatively cheap nowadays. With them you can program in only the shows you want to view. Heck, I watch nothing live and haven't for a few decades now. Pre-record everything we watch. Got only the ones we want to watch and also that 300 times Fast Forward and Commercial Skip, and we can watch a 60 minute show, at times, in only 38 minutes.

Just think. Skip past what you don't like and watch a full program in less time. That way there would be little if anything about which to complain, as you mention above.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 Chalcedony said: I hear you, OP. I think there is a larger problem, namely that QVC has reduced the overall number (and variety) of products that it offers, leading to less variety in programming. And, yes, I do have other things to do on a May weekend, but when I'm home, I like to have QVC or HSN on in the background. That being said, no one here owes anyone else here a explanation for how they choose to spend their days, and I don't see the need for a pile-on of the OP just for stating her views.

Chalcedony, I appreciate the support. And you are so right. There is a big problem with the limited number of vendors now on Q and very little variety in their offerings. I, too, have grown used to having Q on in the background. I am a stay at home mom, and my husband works nights, so I am alone at home a lot and very busy doing the usual stuff, often in the kitchen. I like to have something on that is family friendly (no bad words or things to have to explain to young ears through the years), doesn't require constant attention and kind of keeps me company throughout the day. I find many of the hosts friendly and personable, and I actually enjoy their "company" as I cook, clean, etc.

I must have struck a nerve here and there, because I clearly stated I have no problem with event programming, even when it is merchandise I don't care anything about. I'm positive if you added up the hours in any given year, though, the whole fashion, beauty, shoes, handbags, jewelry thing outweighs the other types of programming heavily. I'm simply asking Q to balance the types of shows they offer, and for some reason, there are those out there that think I'm asking for the moon or something! Go figure!

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 hckynut said:
On 5/16/2014 mominohio said:

Another 48 hour stretch of nothing but clothes, jewelry, and beauty. This happens way too often to suit me, so I won't be spending any money for a couple of days! It seems like this is happening more and more often.

And people have the nerve to complain when we get 24 hours of cooking a couple of time a year or one weekend of Christmas in July each year.

QVC PLEASE balance your programming out better than this. I have nothing against a 24 hour event of any kind, but days on end of the same clothing, jewelry, handbags, shoes and beauty bores so many of us. We'll maybe get a day off from it and then it's back to 70% of the shows being that same stuff again. We'd like to see more variety in daily programming.

Have you got anything to time shift your programming? If not they can be bought relatively cheap nowadays. With them you can program in only the shows you want to view. Heck, I watch nothing live and haven't for a few decades now. Pre-record everything we watch. Got only the ones we want to watch and also that 300 times Fast Forward and Commercial Skip, and we can watch a 60 minute show, at times, in only 38 minutes.

Just think. Skip past what you don't like and watch a full program in less time. That way there would be little if anything about which to complain, as you mention above.

We should get into the 21st century someday at this house! We don't have dvr or anything that lets you record selected programming. It costs to add on to the cable bill, and I constantly consider shutting off cable because of the cost of even the most basic packages. I do envy my friends that are able to record an entire season of their favorite program, then have a marathon watching session when they have the time to do so. If I miss something, I have to hope I can catch it online or wait for the reruns. Technology CAN make life so much easier, can't it?