Super Contributor

Re: 40 INCORRECTLY USED WORDS THAT CAN MAKE YOU LOOK DUMB

""Let's see if we can't do that..."" Why would you want to see if you CAN'T do it?

Super Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Catfancy1 said:

I cringe when I hear/read "advise/advice. You give advice or you can advise someone!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I would advise you to heed my advice.

Yes, I don't like it when people don't get that one right, either.

Super Contributor

Another thing that people say incorrectly is, "Me and John went to the store."

NO!

If you were to take John out of the sentence, you would not say, "Me went to the store.",

you would say, "I went to the store."

It's the same thing.

The correct way of saying it is,

"John and I went to the store."

Esteemed Contributor

I cringe when people use "I" when they should use "me." It's like they're trying to sound smart or proper, but they just sound silly to me because they don't know how to use pronouns. I also cringe when people do not capitalize "I."
Super Contributor

Different from vs different than. The accepted is normally different from...unless you would come up with a clumsy sentence like: "It is no different for men from the way it is for women." In this case, use than.

We borrow from others, but we lend to others.

Don't you wonder how people who speak English as a Second Language ever learn to speak it properly?

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

Many people misspell ""sepArate"" as ""sepErate""........Hint: always remember there's ""a rat"" scurrying in the middle of the word..........:-).............separate.........
Super Contributor

On 3/6/2015 wildcat fan said: I cringe when people use "I" when they should use "me." It's like they're trying to sound smart or proper, but they just sound silly to me because they don't know how to use pronouns. I also cringe when people do not capitalize "I."
I've noticed that more and more people use "between you and I" which is absolutely wrong................between you and me, that mistake makes me cringe......:-)
Super Contributor

Chickens lay, people lie.

Lay vs. lie - used incorrectly often.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I worked with someone who rarely spoke a sentence using all the right words. This woman did not "converse" or have a "conversation", she "conversated". She used to drive me crazy with her most overused phrase "I went and took".
Super Contributor

Lie, meaning to recline: Present tense lie; past tense lay; past participle have lain

Lay, meaning to put or place: Present tense lay; past tense laid, past participle have laid

Lie, meaning to prevaricate: Present tense lie; past tense lied; past participle have lied