Esteemed Contributor

Re: 4 year old thinks her name is "idiot"

So very sad.... I hope they permanently remove the little girl from that house & find her a good home with people that will love her unconditionally!!!!

Respected Contributor

I was a dental hygienist before I retired. I once had a patient who was about 4 years old. He was in for his pre-K exam. He came in alone (without mom). I asked him what his name was, and he told me it was "Bad Boy." He kept insisting throughout the appointment that that was his name. It was actually Justin. I told him that he was a good boy. 

At the end of the appointment when I called his mom into the room, I told her that he thought his name was "Bad Boy." She just laughed and said that that was what they call him all the time as he is so naughty. She had three other children with her. The receptionist said she yelled at the kids constantly and slapped them across the face several times while I had Justin back in the room with me. The receptionist said that she called one of the little girls, "Hey Stupid." We called Social Services and told them what was going on. They said they would investigate. Never saw them again.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

I was a dental hygienist before I retired. I once had a patient who was about 4 years old. He was in for his pre-K exam. He came in alone (without mom). I asked him what his name was, and he told me it was "Bad Boy." He kept insisting throughout the appointment that that was his name. It was actually Justin. I told him that he was a good boy. 

At the end of the appointment when I called his mom into the room, I told her that he thought his name was "Bad Boy." She just laughed and said that that was what they call him all the time as he is so naughty. She had three other children with her. The receptionist said she yelled at the kids constantly and slapped them across the face several times while I had Justin back in the room with me. The receptionist said that she called one of the little girls, "Hey Stupid." We called Social Services and told them what was going on. They said they would investigate. Never saw them again.

I can't believe someone would see such a scene and not intervene. I would.

But not saying or doing anything, it just reinforces to the child that this is "normal." And that the mother is all-powerful.

Calling SS is a joke.

Valued Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Hi to you @chickenbuttHeart  I hope she gets the chance that so many others don't.  Blessings to you for preaching the preach!  The abuse is and has always been out there.  My heart breaks for all that are, have, and will go through it.  I don't think it will ever end, but at least it's more public now.

Hi Darlin!  Yeah, for all those who never had a chance, I so very sincerely hope that she is able to get out of there and have a better chance at life.  The damage that can be done, and certainly WILL be done, to her will only get worse.  As she develops as a person, it will change her slowly and constantly.   She will also feel guilt that she must not have ever been good enough to deserve being treated better.   So then she ends up taking on some of the responsibility as the dialogue builds up in her mind and soul.

If she can just feel loved and safe - This is the key.   Get the bad stuff behind and learn that life can be good and she can feel safe.   It means everything.

On one hand I feel like I need to get away from this but, OTOH, I wish I could know what life has in store for her and that she can be saved from abuse young enough to give her a chance to make the choices that are in her best interest.

@chickenbutt..I agree....feeling safe and loved is the key...someone that can give her unconditional love forever would be best.

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

I can't believe someone would see such a scene and not intervene. I would.

But not saying or doing anything, it just reinforces to the child that this is "normal." And that the mother is all-powerful.

Calling SS is a joke.

@Yorkieonmypillow ... I disagree that calling Social Services is a joke. Maybe it depends on where you live. I actually worked for that particular Social Services department before I went to college. In fact, I worked for the Child Welfare Divisioin. Believe me, they thoroughly investigate every complaint...and around here, it is not uncommon for them to take the children and put them in foster care. Maybe things are different in large cities, but this is a small town.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I am of the belief that it takes a village to raise children , the public cannot rely on the already over worked social service system to solve the problem.I remember when familes would take in kids their kids brought home with them who needed a place to stay and a meal. My Mom's cousin lived with their family after my Grandmother's brother died and the Mom could not affor to take care of two children. By the way my Grandmother had 6 kids of her own. I could go on and on.

Valued Contributor

@blackhole99, my family was like this too!  My mom was one of those innately maternal women with a heart for all children, not just her own, and she was constantly (and sometimes, surreptitiously) doing wonderful things for any kid who came within her orbit. She taught Sunday school, cooked extra food, baked cookies, and just in general kept an eye out for all the neighborhood kids.

And, of course, over the holidays, extra presents were known to materialize for certain people in unhappy circumstances, and every Thanksgiving, the house was full of young Marines with nowhere else to go

She's been gone for over 20 years now, and I still miss her every day..

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I am of the belief that it takes a village to raise children , the public cannot rely on the already over worked social service system to solve the problem.I remember when familes would take in kids their kids brought home with them who needed a place to stay and a meal. My Mom's cousin lived with their family after my Grandmother's brother died and the Mom could not affor to take care of two children. By the way my Grandmother had 6 kids of her own. I could go on and on.

I agree...we cannot rely on Social Services to solve all the problems. However, as a health professional, we are required by law to report to Social Services any suspected child abuse. I also talked to the mom about what I observed. At the time, I did not know what the receptionist observed:

Professionals Required to Report:

Approximately 48 States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands designate professions whose members are mandated by law to report child maltreatment.1 1 The word "approximately" is used to stress the fact that States frequently amend their laws. This information is current only through August 2015. At that time, New Jersey and Wyoming were the only two States that did not enumerate specific professional groups as mandated reporters but required all persons to report. Individuals designated as mandatory reporters typically have frequent contact with children. Such individuals may include:

1. Social workers
  2. Teachers, principals, and other school personnel
  3. Physicians, nurses, and other health-care workers
  4. Counselors, therapists, and other mental health professionals
  5. Child care providers
  6. Medical examiners or coroners
  7. Law enforcement officers

(ChildWelfare.gov)

Regular Contributor

This is horrible and so upsetting for a child to be treated in such a manner.  I hope someone can love her and she can find out what a parent issuppose to be.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw this story on line yesterday. People are sick! I hope they are punished to the fullest extreme! Hopefully this child will be placed with a loving family and will not remember any of this as she gets older. SO SAD!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles