Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: 4 year old El Paso child mauled by family dogs in enclosed trampoline

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't see anything that says the dogs were in the enclosed trampoline with the boy.  Everything I've read said the boy was in the trampoline and there were dogs in the yard.  I am also not finding anything about these people owning 10 dogs. 

What I don't understand is the articles say the mother was put into protective custody and turned over to medical professionals.  Why?  Is she a suicide risk?

@Lipstickdiva  From what I have seen reported the mother was so distraught that it became a medical issue.  The mother was collapsing on the driveway in hysterics.

Whether she is in protective custody for a suicide watch or for another reason has not been clarified on the news by reporters in the know.   I also wouldn't go by what some neighbors are saying; one remark was so gross I can't even post it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

I love dogs,never without them. BUT dogs are dogs and kids will be kids.  My best friend had to have her dog put down because it bit a childs face viciously.  The dog was sleeping,the kid laid down on the dog..and it happened.  Who knows if the dog was dreaming and was startled and scared.  Dog and kid paid a high price.

I see kids sitting on dogs,putting their faces in the dog's face.  Just protect your children and first of all respect the fact that your dog is a dog.

Why was the child not taught to leave the dog alone while sleeping.  Kids need to be taugh how to behave around dogs or these kind of things will happen.  Adults are entirely to blame in these situations

@CrazyDaisy I agree 100%.  The child bitten was a friend of her childs.  I guess we should never leave kids and dogs in the same room alone.  I've always taught my children to respect our dogs' space. You never know if a dog has a pain somewhere and a child comes and lays on it.  Dogs arent chairs nor beds. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Unless we're speaking of children old enough to know better, it's up to the adults to supervise any interaction between the little ones and dogs, no matter how many times they may have told those little ones how to behave with the dog.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

I love dogs,never without them. BUT dogs are dogs and kids will be kids.  My best friend had to have her dog put down because it bit a childs face viciously.  The dog was sleeping,the kid laid down on the dog..and it happened.  Who knows if the dog was dreaming and was startled and scared.  Dog and kid paid a high price.

I see kids sitting on dogs,putting their faces in the dog's face.  Just protect your children and first of all respect the fact that your dog is a dog.

Why was the child not taught to leave the dog alone while sleeping.  Kids need to be taugh how to behave around dogs or these kind of things will happen.  Adults are entirely to blame in these situations

In some instances kids are kids and you can tell a kid a number of times to do or not do something but they are essentially a kid. 

I had a boxer that I used to walk daily.  There were kids that used to run up to him and every single time, I had to tell them not to put their face next to his, not to roll up to him while lying on a skateboard, etc.  It was constant that I had to tell these kids and they weren't 3 year old kids. 

I am sorry that you need to go through that, however I do not accept "kids will be kids" excuse.  It is up to you to protect your dog from that behavior.  If the children cannot learn to act appropiately then do not allow then to interact with your dog.

I'm not saying that you allow kids to do what they want to a dog like pull ears or tail, push them, hit them, etc.  I think you need to teach them how to treat animals.  However, sometimes things are going to happen if the children are young and it can't be helped.  There are some dog breeds that are better with children than others so IMO if someone has children, they need to take that into consideration.   If a dog viciously attacks anyone for laying on them, there is a problem. 

It what world is plopping drown on a sleeping dog acceptable. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.