Respected Contributor

Re: 4 of my co-workers tested positive

My mother who is NEVER sick was sick last November for 2 weeks, with all the COVID systems.

I can't remember a time in my adult life where she was sick in bed....ever.  I wonder if she had it when no one had ever heard of it.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl 

It is quite possible your co-worker did have COVID.

The reason I say this is because both myself, husband & his pulmonary doctor feel he had it but as you state "it was not known in February".

Our scenario:

On or about February 17th my spouse (age 71) went to doctor for "bronchitis" symptoms,  having trouble breathing and severe cough.  The doctor at Urgent Care told him he had "sinus infection and touch of bronchitis".  Gave him Rx for cough syrup, prednisone and a z-pac told him if he didn't feel better in 7 days to see his primary doctor.

I left on Feb. 20 to go up North for a family function.  I was scheduled to stay until 3/10.

On 2/25 I received a call he had collapsed, could not breath and was in intensive care. What!!!  

The doctor ruled he had "respiratory failure" and bronchitis.  He was in ICU for 5 days and thankfully I was able to get a quick flight home.   On 3/8 he was released with oxygen, pulmonary inhaler and nubulizer.  I flew home that am.  Thank goodness I did because they cancelled flights on 3/10.   The girl alongside of me coughed & sneezed the whole flight -- I wrapped my jacket around my face😮

I came home and within days I was sick with bronchitis not the extent he had for almost a month.   For the next  few weeks he continued with the symptoms and fatigue.  

The pulmonary dr & respiratory therapist saw him on 3/16.  Also sent him for lung scans.  Everything "looked" good.

At this time, he was a little better yet still had major breathing problems.  He had a telemed appt with the dr on 4/2.   

She recommended put him on oxygen 24/7 and high doses of prednisone and breathing treatments.  He asked the doctor if possible he had Covid since it was not known or brought to lite during his hospital stay.  At this time, they did not test yet for Covid.  They did not confirm yet said too late to test because he was getting better.

Mid-April he was sick again.  This time worse (IMO) called doctor told him symptoms.  Dr. again told him to continue on meds and added Symbicort for breathing.

Fast forward, sitting in his chair he called me he couldn't breath even with the oxygen.  I called his primary care dr.  He had him taken to ER -- we sat there with at least 59 people in waiting area from kids to older people.  After 5 hours they admitted him for observation and intravenous steroids into his system.  

Released and again was told he wouldn't be tested since the ""symptoms" didn't match what the Covid guidelines were.🤷‍♀️

He was released 3 days later.

Just last week the respiratory therapist feels now that more accurate  information is known his symptoms were consistent with Covid. Yet, never had it confirmed.

He will see pulmonary doctor on7/14 because he's better but not 100%.  He is now experiencing shortness of breath and his cough is back.

Sorry so long, but I truly wonder how many had it yet were never officially tested and  were sick ...I think he had it -- at some point 🤔.

He has been very good at self-quarantined and over these past months staying home except for doctors.  Hopefully, soon he'll get answers what his"diagnosis" is🤞🏻.

I hope you stay healthy and safe🙂🙂

Esteemed Contributor

Would an anti-body test show it?  Maybe they only do those if they want your plasma! 

So sorry you have had such an ordeal to deal with.  Hope you are both better soon.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl 

It is quite possible your co-worker did have COVID.

The reason I say this is because both myself, husband & his pulmonary doctor feel he had it but as you state "it was not known in February".

Our scenario:

On or about February 17th my spouse (age 71) went to doctor for "bronchitis" symptoms,  having trouble breathing and severe cough.  The doctor at Urgent Care told him he had "sinus infection and touch of bronchitis".  Gave him Rx for cough syrup, prednisone and a z-pac told him if he didn't feel better in 7 days to see his primary doctor.

I left on Feb. 20 to go up North for a family function.  I was scheduled to stay until 3/10.

On 2/25 I received a call he had collapsed, could not breath and was in intensive care. What!!!  

The doctor ruled he had "respiratory failure" and bronchitis.  He was in ICU for 5 days and thankfully I was able to get a quick flight home.   On 3/8 he was released with oxygen, pulmonary inhaler and nubulizer.  I flew home that am.  Thank goodness I did because they cancelled flights on 3/10.   The girl alongside of me coughed & sneezed the whole flight -- I wrapped my jacket around my face😮

I came home and within days I was sick with bronchitis not the extent he had for almost a month.   For the next  few weeks he continued with the symptoms and fatigue.  

The pulmonary dr & respiratory therapist saw him on 3/16.  Also sent him for lung scans.  Everything "looked" good.

At this time, he was a little better yet still had major breathing problems.  He had a telemed appt with the dr on 4/2.   

She recommended put him on oxygen 24/7 and high doses of prednisone and breathing treatments.  He asked the doctor if possible he had Covid since it was not known or brought to lite during his hospital stay.  At this time, they did not test yet for Covid.  They did not confirm yet said too late to test because he was getting better.

Mid-April he was sick again.  This time worse (IMO) called doctor told him symptoms.  Dr. again told him to continue on meds and added Symbicort for breathing.

Fast forward, sitting in his chair he called me he couldn't breath even with the oxygen.  I called his primary care dr.  He had him taken to ER -- we sat there with at least 59 people in waiting area from kids to older people.  After 5 hours they admitted him for observation and intravenous steroids into his system.  

Released and again was told he wouldn't be tested since the ""symptoms" didn't match what the Covid guidelines were.🤷‍♀️

He was released 3 days later.

Just last week the respiratory therapist feels now that more accurate  information is known his symptoms were consistent with Covid. Yet, never had it confirmed.

He will see pulmonary doctor on7/14 because he's better but not 100%.  He is now experiencing shortness of breath and his cough is back.

Sorry so long, but I truly wonder how many had it yet were never officially tested and  were sick ...I think he had it -- at some point 🤔.

He has been very good at self-quarantined and over these past months staying home except for doctors.  Hopefully, soon he'll get answers what his"diagnosis" is🤞🏻.

I hope you stay healthy and safe🙂🙂

Sorry to hear about your DH.  Do you and hubby wear face masks or face coverings?  Have you been tested for COVID-19?

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We had COVID tests at work.

They are all off for 12 days.  We are on day 7 none of them have or had symptoms to date.

I tested negative.  

2 of the women that tested positive swear they had COVID in Feb.  they both report having had COVID symptoms that lasted less than a week but back then we did not know the word COVID back then.

They were told they may still be tested positive from a previous exposure.  

We all have to tested again tomorrow.  (not the positive people)

@Abrowneyegirl   Same thing with my husband and me.  We had our regular doctor's appointment in mid January and came down with "something"  that knocked us both to our knees less than two weeks later.   Odd thing was we never get sick at the same time like that.   We had our annual flu shots so we ruled that out.  Just figured it was one lulu of a cold. It wasn't until March that we heard about COVID!  We haven't been tested for antibodies, so who knows?

@RoughDraft, it's also possible that you had the flu. I had the flu shot but became very sick in December with a high fever and cough. The vaccine is not 100 percent, especially in my age group. I think that in January, the chances are that it wasn't Covid. From mid-February on, Covid began to take hold. But the flu was still around for a while then, too.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Some people have tested positive and been very sick, then recovered. Cleared to return to work. Now they are sick again. Still so much we don’t know about this awful virus.
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3   Anything is possible.  However, since DH and I have been getting flu shots for decades and (luckily) never came down with the flu, it makes us wonder.  We even got our pneumonia shots.  Even when one of us gets a cold it doesn't hit both of us simultaneously (to the day)!  In fact, usually only one of us gets the cold and the other doesn't by avoidance.

In this instance, we both came down with it close to two weeks after our regularly scheduled doctor's visit, before anyone really knew what was happening.

I have no proof of what it was but if it was, we're both grateful it wasn't as serious as what we are seeing now.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@suzyQ3   Anything is possible.  However, since DH and I have been getting flu shots for decades and (luckily) never came down with the flu, it makes us wonder.  We even got our pneumonia shots.  Even when one of us gets a cold it doesn't hit both of us simultaneously (to the day)!  In fact, usually only one of us gets the cold and the other doesn't by avoidance.

In this instance, we both came down with it close to two weeks after our regularly scheduled doctor's visit, before anyone really knew what was happening.

I have no proof of what it was but if it was, we're both grateful it wasn't as serious as what we are seeing now.

@RoughDraft, yes, who knows? At least it wasn't too bad for you both. Have you considered getting an antibody test?

I mentioned that I was certain that I got the flu in early December despite getting the flu shot. Well, on top of that, early last year I came down with pneumonia despite having had the shot. It happens; I know that they are not 100 percent effective, so I will always get any that are recommended.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 Yes, I've considered getting the antibody test, but not waiting in a hot car for four hours to get one.  They're not exactly knocking on any doors around here looking for volunteers.  Right now, I'd like to see them spraying down doctors offices before I set foot in one again.  lol

Incidentally, we both still have some residual coughing.  That ought to scare the crappe out of anyone around us, not to mention my allergies and sneezing.  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I was very sick in January and down for about 6 weeks.  I had ALL the symptoms and like others this was different from the flu.  I had foggy thinking and couldn't smell a thing.  My husband kept talking about things I couldn't smell.

I coughed and coughed and coughed.  I never had really bad congestion, but the cough was awful.  And I felt horrible, had no energy and gastric distress at the beginning.