Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 445
Registered: ‎04-21-2014

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

On 6/16/2014 Luv2Decorate said:
On 6/16/2014 colliegirls said:
On 6/16/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

Our Catholic Priest says that no strapless dresses are allowed for a wedding.

Wow, strapless is almost all of the dresses worn at our Catholic Church!

Really? He's adamant about it. It's about the reverence towards the Altar.

I actually think his concern is misplaced. Nothing wrong with a woman's shoulders. Too bad so many priest didn't have more reverence towards other, much more important things.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,179
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

On 6/16/2014 stevieb said:

Strapless wedding gowns are tired and never were my cup of tea.

Many brides have their girls hanging out, back spillage, side b**bs, or squashed. It has to fit right to pull it off.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,420
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

On 6/16/2014 adelle38 said:
<br />

What is irreverent about women's shoulders?

I do not think it is just women's shoulders. In many European countries tank tops and shorts are forbidden in Catholic Churches.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 3,697
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

On 6/16/2014 lulu2 said:
On 6/16/2014 adelle38 said:
<br />

What is irreverent about women's shoulders?

I do not think it is just women's shoulders. In many European countries tank tops and shorts are forbidden in Catholic Churches.

That's hardly the same as a formal wedding gown.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,420
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

On 6/16/2014 adelle38 said:
On 6/16/2014 lulu2 said:
On 6/16/2014 adelle38 said:
<br />

What is irreverent about women's shoulders?

I do not think it is just women's shoulders. In many European countries tank tops and shorts are forbidden in Catholic Churches.

That's hardly the same as a formal wedding gown.

A strapless gown shows far more skin than a tank top.

There was a time we needed to cover our heads in church.

What is the big deal covering your shoulders during the church ceremony? The bride can bare all she wants at the reception.

I live in a shore town and in our church there is a sign stating proper attire is required. Strapless tops are a no-no.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 3,697
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

On 6/16/2014 lulu2 said:
On 6/16/2014 adelle38 said:
On 6/16/2014 lulu2 said:
On 6/16/2014 adelle38 said:
<br />

What is irreverent about women's shoulders?

I do not think it is just women's shoulders. In many European countries tank tops and shorts are forbidden in Catholic Churches.

That's hardly the same as a formal wedding gown.

A strapless gown shows far more skin than a tank top.

There was a time we needed to cover our heads in church.

What is the big deal covering your shoulders during the church ceremony? The bride can bare all she wants at the reception.

I live in a shore town and in our church there is a sign stating proper attire is required. Strapless tops are a no-no.

There was a time when women couldn't show their ankles. Times have changed. There's nothing indecent or disrespectful about a strapless gown.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 11,367
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

Devout Mormon girls are very conservative in their dress. At our school concerts they couldn't wear the dresses that weren't ""covered up"" like the other girls wore.

These are their beliefs.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,680
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

If they were married in the Temple then the one bride probably had a short jacket that was worn for the wedding ceremony. A friend's DIL did that when they married.

3 daughters and one son. 3 wedding dresses, etc. all over with at once. Wow!! The amount of cooperation between these couples was tremendous.....and what a memory for all of them.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 65,768
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

I suppose if a bride is intent on wearing a strapless gown and the church requests that brides not wear them, she can seek another venue for her wedding... Of course, she has her rights, but they also have theirs... It might be a little old fashioned, but who's to say that everything that's a bit old fashioned is bad...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,602
Registered: ‎04-11-2010

Re: 4 of 6 siblings share a wedding celebration

On 6/16/2014 scotttie said:
On 6/16/2014 FUTURE said: I don't think Mormons can show shoulders. The one girl is. Maybe they aren't Mormon? Idk. But I do know that I would NOT want to plan a wedding with three other brides. Huh-uh.

Can you imagine! That huge of a wedding and accommodating each others tastes??

Yes, I just looked up the temple. It is the St. George Latter Day Saints temple in Utah.

Thank you, Scottie. I follow several Mormon bloggers, and they all had their shoulders covered. Maybe straps are ok. Or, I guess maybe a shawl/shrug while inside the Temple? Anyway, doesn't matter, but I was just wondering about that. As for planning with others,MK had a super small wedding, and, while beautiful, classy, and elegant, I knew what I wanted and planned it very quickly. So, the thought of planning with others and a potential bridezilla would've been off-putting to me. Smiley Wink But I think it's great that it probably cost them MUCH less by combing them!!