Super Contributor

Re: 3G shutdown 2021: Why your old phone is about to quit

@89135 Your phone should be fine if its 4g....I kept getting text messages from my puretalk carrier saying my phone wont work blah blah blah so i called them and asked why because my phone is less than a year with 4 g so she looked up the imei number and she said yes it would work..I got another annoying text today....I think they just want you to buy news phones from them even if not needed.

Super Contributor

@NuttmegWell it doesnt take that long to buy another phone...and I do have a landline.

Super Contributor

@Sparky3333   I was thinking the same thing...they just want you to buy another phone

Esteemed Contributor

@89135 wrote:

@NuttmegWell it doesnt take that long to buy another phone...and I do have a landline.

@89135

You will be fine. Tracfone/ Verizon just has to give customers proper notice. 

Respected Contributor

@89135 wrote:

@Just Bling  I put the name of my phone in google and it said mine was a 4G..however, tracphone says 'Our records indicate that your current phone is not compatible with the carrier’s standard network which means you may experience dropped calls and poor reception. Your service will continually degrade until your device stops working.'

I thought 4G would be okay....who knows...I just renewed so I will just have to wait and see I guess

Wouldn't this be a question to ask your phone company? I doublt anyone here has the expertise to help you in your specific situation. Any responses here are simply supposition and guesses.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Anyone should be able to go into settings on their phone and then device information and I would think it would tell you if your phone is a 3g, 4g, 5g.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have 4G and have no interest in buying a 5G capable phone.  I'm pretty sure millions of people feel the same and that 4G phones will be around for quite awhile - maybe another 5 years.  When I get the letter from my carrier I'll buy a 5G phone.