Honored Contributor

Re: #37. Another tragic horse death at Santa Anita Park

@hckynut wrote:

@Mindy D 

Something is drastically wrong with that race track. My sister has loved, and has owned horses all of her adult life. I can't imagine any owner, or manager of any race horse, risking the life of their "investment", even if they have no passion for the horse.

I don't even watch the big races now because I do not want to see a horse or their jockey get hurt. I sometime DVR a big race, and if hear of a horse going down, I delete it. 

@Mindy D , Thanks for this information. Anyone that loves animals, especially the Equine. I am not a big fan of PETA, but are they saying anything about these tragedies?

hckynut

@hckynut, yes, PETA's voice is very strong on this issue. I'm not sure whether I should link to their page about this, so just google "PETA race horses."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Re: #37. Another tragic horse death at Santa Anita Park

@Carmie wrote:

@Kachina624   Horses that cost hundreds of thousands  dollars are worth nothing to business owners when they can no longer run  and make money for them.  They are disguarded like trash.

They  are taken to auction and bought and shipped to Canada and Mexico where they are slaughtered.  10,000 of them are slaughtered annually.  That is no small number.  Amish auctions in PA have been raided many times and the horses rescued from their fate.  

Most thoroughbred horses are not bred when their racing career is over.  Only the elite runners who have made a ton of money will be used for that purpose where they will continue to make their owners rich.

@Carmie   the info you have posted is accurate , it's what I have found out during research .    Plus I have a dear friend who has been involved with horses fur years and had  told me pretty much the same thing.   It sickens her me as well .  Unfortunately the money involved keeps it going and the kept secret.   How terribly sad for these sweet , gentle creatures .   I will never support horse betting or tracks and i tell anyone I know what goes on as well so hopefully they won't .