Honored Contributor

Re: 36 Billions Unemployment Fraud

They got me back in July and Texas sent me a debit card to collect my benefits that I never applied for.  Took months to get it straightened out.  Texas then started sending me collection letters to get the money back on the destroyed debit card.  My State Representative had to step in get them to stop bothering me.  Apparently once the State funded the debit card they did not care that it was never activated, they just wanted their money back.  Now if I am ever in need to file for unemployment I will have to go a few steps further to prove who I am and that my claim is legit.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's political

Valued Contributor

@Squirt60 wrote:

It is a big deal. It happened to us recently. Someone filed for unemployment in my Husbands name. We received a letter saying so and then a few days later received a "debit" card from a bank. We reported it online and will never activate the card. This has happened to a lot of people we know. Be careful. 

my daughter too! this is really bad

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Bibione wrote:

My local news found out that organized crime gangs  from Nigeria,China,Russia and Ghana have stolen Social Security numbers to obtain Pandemic Unemployment  Assistence. It was 300 a week,but soon it will be 400 dollars.

If you recieved an unsolicited debit card in the mail or a 1099 G tax form in the mail, you probably are a victim.

I can't believe that 71% of all PUA claims are fraudulent.

71%?  Provide a non-biased source. I don't believe it is that high.  

I'm not going to believe any local news channel when it's supposedly that big of a problem but not widely reported on larger networks and in every other news.

There was much larger fraud in how pandemic relief was doled out...hundreds of billions went to friends, big donors, relatives.

There is also fraud in everyday government handouts to big businesses, big oil, big pharma, farmers, etc etc.  I rarely hear anyone complain about that.

you won't hear it on the news, but the police is telling us when filling out a reportSmiley Mad

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perfect example that Federal or State agencies are Not the most efficient . If unemployment claims were handled by a private company than it would likely be run efficiently with few false claims being paid out. So more  involvement by  our agencies is not the best. We all need  to be outraged , this is your heard earned tax dollars and our officials and agencies , go oh well. ....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know about the amount stated her, but otherwise, this is not new news.

There are myriad reasons for this obscene result that has hurt so many people, But I would definitely not say that private companies would necessarily be immune to such problems.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Fraud, government and the countries listed.....no surprise there. At least not to me. Even if it was just "fraud and government" I would be saying this isn't news. It isn't a matter of it happening (because it always will); it's a matter of how soon it's made public.

I can't be the only one who thinks this way. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

Really need some documation for 71% of PUA number.

Most states will not release this information.  I think California did, but that was about 2B.  How they claim 36B is a puzzle.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bella2022 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Bibione wrote:

My local news found out that organized crime gangs  from Nigeria,China,Russia and Ghana have stolen Social Security numbers to obtain Pandemic Unemployment  Assistence. It was 300 a week,but soon it will be 400 dollars.

If you recieved an unsolicited debit card in the mail or a 1099 G tax form in the mail, you probably are a victim.

I can't believe that 71% of all PUA claims are fraudulent.

71%?  Provide a non-biased source. I don't believe it is that high.  

I'm not going to believe any local news channel when it's supposedly that big of a problem but not widely reported on larger networks and in every other news.

There was much larger fraud in how pandemic relief was doled out...hundreds of billions went to friends, big donors, relatives.

There is also fraud in everyday government handouts to big businesses, big oil, big pharma, farmers, etc etc.  I rarely hear anyone complain about that.

you won't hear it on the news, but the police is telling us when filling out a reportSmiley Mad

I believe some of it happened. I just don't believe it's 71% and would need non-partisan data and source to believe it.

Respected Contributor

when I searched this it came up from may 2020 so why bring it up now