Valued Contributor

36 Billions Unemployment Fraud

My local news found out that organized crime gangs  from Nigeria,China,Russia and Ghana have stolen Social Security numbers to obtain Pandemic Unemployment  Assistence. It was 300 a week,but soon it will be 400 dollars.

If you recieved an unsolicited debit card in the mail or a 1099 G tax form in the mail, you probably are a victim.

I can't believe that 71% of all PUA claims are fraudulent.

Honored Contributor

Re: 36 Billions Unemployment Fraud

WOW!!!

Valued Contributor

The 36 billions is just an estimate,it is more than that. Check out wthr.com or Eyewitness news in Indianapolis for the full article.

Respected Contributor

@Bibione wrote:

The 36 billions is just an estimate,it is more than that. Check out wthr.com or Eyewitness news in Indianapolis for the full article.

@Bibione 

Thank you for this info.So far I had not heard anything about it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bibione wrote:

My local news found out that organized crime gangs  from Nigeria,China,Russia and Ghana have stolen Social Security numbers to obtain Pandemic Unemployment  Assistence. It was 300 a week,but soon it will be 400 dollars.

If you recieved an unsolicited debit card in the mail or a 1099 G tax form in the mail, you probably are a victim.

@Bibione @Thanks for posting. This is news to me. I posted awhile back about all the criminals in jail that were getting unemployment. At a press conference in California one of the DAs said it was the biggest act of fraud in California history. So now we can add all the crime gangs you're mentioning. 

Esteemed Contributor

I received 4 different debit cards from the unemployment office all with different names on them. I wrote in big bold letters fraud on them and returned to sender. 

Esteemed Contributor

When you throw free money around with no accountability you get massive fraud.  Nothing new.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Bibione wrote:

71%?  Provide a non-biased source. I don't believe it is that high.  

I'm not going to believe any local news channel when it's supposedly that big of a problem but not widely reported on larger networks and in every other news.

There was much larger fraud in how pandemic relief was doled out...hundreds of billions went to friends, big donors, relatives.

There is also fraud in everyday government handouts to big businesses, big oil, big pharma, farmers, etc etc.  I rarely hear anyone complain about that.

Frequent Contributor

It is a big deal. It happened to us recently. Someone filed for unemployment in my Husbands name. We received a letter saying so and then a few days later received a "debit" card from a bank. We reported it online and will never activate the card. This has happened to a lot of people we know. Be careful. 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Bibione wrote:

71%?  Provide a non-biased source. I don't believe it is that high.  

I'm not going to believe any local news channel when it's supposedly that big of a problem but not widely reported on larger networks and in every other news.

There was much larger fraud in how pandemic relief was doled out...hundreds of billions went to friends, big donors, relatives.

There is also fraud in everyday government handouts to big businesses, big oil, big pharma, farmers, etc etc.  I rarely hear anyone complain about that.

@CalminHeart  Yes, that's the worst. All these million dollar companies getting relief.