Esteemed Contributor

Re: $34.95. Be careful with your order.

My advice, call them back and see if they will help you out.  I have had situtations with lots of retailer and they were more than cooperative.  

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

@bonnielu  is correct.  I would call.  The walmart rep has the discretion to credit you the shipping amount.  I've call them before because I needed to return a couple of items that were pretty inexpensive and didn't get a receipt option with my online order.  Even though it was less then $10 worth of merchandise, I was going back to the store anyway, and figured I would just return them before I did my shopping. 

The rep said she would put a credit in for the couple of items, and I didn't need to return them. 

They've also emailed me a $10 credit for a small screwup that was done on a recent store pick up order, usable for my next purchase, so I would give them a call.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

It's a computer, not a person, adding the shipping. Doesn't matter if it's a dollar or a penny. If the rule s $35 then the line just has to be drawn.

@froggy - Yes, I was going to put that in my previous post:  that it's the difference between dealing with a computer or a person.

(I was in I.T. for 25 years, so I know what's behind the "screen".)  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

I've had many instances where my total was a penny short of the required threshhold and S&H was added in.  Unless it's something I desperately want or need, I just cancel the order.

Most recent was Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I had a $10 coupon to use and it took me one penny below the minimum and I was slapped with an $8.95 S&H charge.

So I removed the coupon, used a 20% off coupon instead, which gave me a $9.80 discount and free shipping!  (And to end the story - the item I ordered arrived broken and I had to return it to the store.)

It's a bit silly because, in the stores, if you're purchasing something for say $14.98, they'll still let you use the "$5 off $15" coupon, but the online just doesn't work that way.

And Kohl's online will give you the $10 Kohl's Cash (usually for a purchase of $50), if your order falls a few cents short of the minimum. 

@Venezia 

I had a similar situation with a Current Catalog order, I was taking a moment to decide whether I really wanted these items or if I should just cancel my order, when a Chat Rep came on the line live and ask if I needed help or had a question in order to complete my order....Well he found a coupon deal (not advertised) which not only gave me a discount but offered free shipping as well---ORDER COMPLETED....These retailers need to look beyond these little games they play and instead look at the big picture which is retaining their customers.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

That has happened to me and I was not happy with myself.  I now know to not even be a penny short but then, I often order $5-10 over the minimum for free shipping.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I recently paid the $5.99 shipping for Lysol wipes even though I could have easily gotten my order to the free shipping level. I just didn't want to waste a minute for fear it would sell out. Today is December 6th and the last tracking information recorded for this delivery was November 22nd! That is what I get for paying for shipping! Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

I have had such a tough time with grocery pickup orders lately I have just stopped. Too many things are left out of the order yet I am charged for them anyway or get nonsensical substitutions....eggs instead of green beans? Some other sites have added a $2 "seasonal charge" to orders. Pure greed, nothing to do with Covid...

Honored Contributor

The minimum everywhere has to be reached exactly to the penny or you are out of luck. Maddening. They won’t even include tax for the minimum.