Honored Contributor

$34.95. Be careful with your order.

Oops. I ordered two items from Walmart. Com. I needed a $35 minimum order for free shipping. I thought my order came to this amount. I received an email confirmation of my order and saw a $5.99 delivery charge. I called to ask why there was a delivery charge and the rep pointed out that my order totaled $34.95. I can't believe I did something like this. My eyes were tired and I lost out. I try to be so careful. Oh well, live and learn. 

Honored Contributor

Re: $34.95. Be careful with your order.

[ Edited ]

I understand they have a minimum, but gee a nickel---I guess Walmart cant afford to lose that 5 cents, but could risk losing a customer for something like this...SMH..I could see them waiving the requirement for that minor amount...Contact Walmart and tell them they could gain a lot of nickels by cutting back on all their annoying commercials...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Yeah, it seems like it always goes that no matter what combination of items you order it falls just short of the $35.    I ended up ordering one more item to get it over $35 with my most recent order a few weeks ago.   I'm just glad that $35 is their line because that's pretty easy to reach.

Honored Contributor

The check out always alerts you to how much more you need to get free shipping.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D Oh I've done things like that before!

Honored Contributor

I've had many instances where my total was a penny short of the required threshhold and S&H was added in.  Unless it's something I desperately want or need, I just cancel the order.

Most recent was Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I had a $10 coupon to use and it took me one penny below the minimum and I was slapped with an $8.95 S&H charge.

So I removed the coupon, used a 20% off coupon instead, which gave me a $9.80 discount and free shipping!  (And to end the story - the item I ordered arrived broken and I had to return it to the store.)

It's a bit silly because, in the stores, if you're purchasing something for say $14.98, they'll still let you use the "$5 off $15" coupon, but the online just doesn't work that way.

And Kohl's online will give you the $10 Kohl's Cash (usually for a purchase of $50), if your order falls a few cents short of the minimum. 

Respected Contributor

It's a computer, not a person, adding the shipping. Doesn't matter if it's a dollar or a penny. If the rule s $35 then the line just has to be drawn.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Oops. I ordered two items from Walmart. Com. I needed a $35 minimum order for free shipping. I thought my order came to this amount. I received an email confirmation of my order and saw a $5.99 delivery charge. I called to ask why there was a delivery charge and the rep pointed out that my order totaled $34.95. I can't believe I did something like this. My eyes were tired and I lost out. I try to be so careful. Oh well, live and learn. 

@Mindy D   This brings to mind the .01 debited to my account by QVC every time I pay off an easy pay early.   At least Wal Mart is up front about their charge.  QVC just slips it in. 

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I understand they have a minimum, but gee a nickel---I guess Walmart cant afford to lose that 5 cents, but could risk losing a customer for something like this...SMH..I could see them waiving the requirement for that minor amount...Contact Walmart and tell them they could gain a lot of nickels by cutting back on all their annoying commercials...

@Spurt   I've shopped for all my Christmas on line this year.  Believe me, Wal Mart is not the only one, and from Wal Mart, I can always manage $35.  Some of the other stores have a $75 min. and that's a little harder to meet.   

Respected Contributor

I believe Amazon is the same for non-Prime members who order are under $25.  Can't be $24.99, has to be a minimum of $25.