Honored Contributor

33rd horse dies at Santa Anita track of possible heart attack

[ Edited ]

Ky, Colonel, a 5-yr-old gelding had a heart attack and died. The horse is the 33rd horse to die at the track since December, 2018. On Sept. 28th, the 32nd death occurred when a 3-yr-old died after being injured. In April, 2019, the Los Angeles County DA’s office announced that a task force was being formed to investigate the deaths. In June there was another horse death and Governor Gavin Newsom began calling for a shutdown of the race park because Santa Anita had not followed the recommendation of the Cal. Horse Racing Board to halt racing at the park.

Santa Anita did not discontinue racing because the owners of the park thought reforms they enacted were working to stop the deaths. The changes included not allowing the use of medications for horses on racing day and limitation of the use of whips on racing day. 

Valued Contributor

Re: 33rd horse dies at Santa Anita track of possible heart attack

All for the love of money.

Esteemed Contributor

This is disturbing on so many levels. I am shocked that it has taken this many deaths for something to be done! I understand horse racing is a lucrative business, but, as an animal lover, I am outraged at this story and am going to research this to see just what is being done to safeguard these defenseless, beautiful animals.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

All for the love of money.

They need to stop the madness!!!! Woman Sad....those beautiful horses aren't suffering anymore...!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Very depressing.........

That's a reason why I don't watch horse racing on TV.

Way too stressful, worrying about the possible horses' injuries and/or possible death.

I've had an idea for years:

As strange as it sounds, why not race the horses the same way track contestants run their races?

The fastest horse wins, same as with humans.

Each horse is timed as soon as it reaches the designated distance. 

The outside rim track horse exits as soon as it reaches the 'finish line' distance, then the next horse on it's track, then the next one, and so on and so on.

Does this make any sense?

If not, please ignore.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tragic. Unimaginable. 

A 4-yr-old died on 9/16 from a pelvic fracture on the tracing track. He was euthanized. I hope I’m not confusing this, but it also seems like a 4 yr-old philly also died in March after shattering her front leg while on a training track.

The track did close for three weeks in March, reopening on March 29th. Two days after reopening there was a two horse spill which led to injuries on the right front leg of a horse named Arms Runner and then the falling of another horse, La Sardane,  that was trailing them. Arms Runner had to be euthanized.

Respected Contributor

Horse racing has gotten out of control.   The manipulative breeding has cause so many problems and they just ignore them as horse after horse dies.   I'm ready for drastic changes or banning, if they refuse.

While they are at it, the can ban rodeos too.  They are so cruel.   I can't understand why various animal cruelty organizations haven't campaigned for a ban on rodeos.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D :  This is an ongoing situation (over 6 mths); you don't know much about this (another cut and paste) at least this time you stated "I hope I'm not mixing this up..." .  With these cursory glances of articles that you quickly cut and paste you are only adding to confusion on various topics.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately the track can do pretty much whatever it wants unless the laws are changed. My understanding is that even the racing board can’t force them to close, they can only issue recommendations.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think horse racing is abusive to the poor animals....too much money involved now and it is not about the magnificent horses...they are merely used for making the rich even richer. Someone needs to get a handle on what is going on out there before more innocent horses die. Shut the whole industry down. It’s corrupt anyway.