Esteemed Contributor

Re: 33rd horse dies at Santa Anita track of possible heart attack

@Bridgegal wrote:

Horse racing has gotten out of control.   The manipulative breeding has cause so many problems and they just ignore them as horse after horse dies.   I'm ready for drastic changes or banning, if they refuse.

While they are at it, the can ban rodeos too.  They are so cruel.   I can't understand why various animal cruelty organizations haven't campaigned for a ban on rodeos.

ITA!!!!!! I also HATE rodeos!!!! Don't forget those horrible bull fights in Spain! Having seen one as a child I have spoken out against them many times...WHY would anyone want to see those bulls tortured???? What does this say about our society?? Woman Mad

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

I never watch horse racing.  But I don't understand why this race track can't be shut down by the state?

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Very depressing.........

That's a reason why I don't watch horse racing on TV.

Way too stressful, worrying about the possible horses' injuries and/or possible death.

I've had an idea for years:

As strange as it sounds, why not race the horses the same way track contestants run their races?

The fastest horse wins, same as with humans.

Each horse is timed as soon as it reaches the designated distance. 

The outside rim track horse exits as soon as it reaches the 'finish line' distance, then the next horse on it's track, then the next one, and so on and so on.

Does this make any sense?

If not, please ignore.

@ROMARY   The horses would still be running and subject to the same mistreatment-just without a jockey.  They would also be subject to the same injuries and illness.

The only way to protect the horses is to ban racing completely.

Not all horses are mistreated but I personally do not like racing horses and dogs.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

History often repeats itself........

Roman and other times, where lions, tigers, and people were placed together for sport and display, etc.

It's all almost the same thing............

I guess some/many folks like to watch possibly dangerous happenings. (?)

I do think that better care for the horses can happen, though.   It's probably somewhat possible.

What's needed is a good plan, and good public relations, imo.

'Smooth things out', so to speak.

Wishing all horses safety and good health.  

That would be my goal for the industry.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Horses are amazing, intelligent, creatures with refined, emense emotions. (Read the Tao of Equus.) Some of them do love to run and it gives them joy to do it full out with no distractions in the way, like snakes or rabbit holes etc that occur in nature. Which is what race tracks in general are good for, for human and animal athletes. But the whole horseracing system treats the most important athletes, the horses, like dumb, numb machines.

If I want to watch humans race machines around a track, I'll watch cars or bikes. Horses do not deserve to be treated so shabbily.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I never watch horse racing.  But I don't understand why this race track can't be shut down by the state?

Money!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can't explain why the one horse died of a heart attack other than it had a heart condition, other medical issue that was undetected or ignored, or pushed on the track beyond what it should have been.   

Anyone remember Barbaro?  I remember looking at a photo of him amazed at how narrow his ankles and lower legs were compared to his large muscular body.  How could they possibly support him?  How could they survive with all that weight pounding down on his legs and ankles as he ran the track?  It wasn't surprising he suffered an injury.  

At that time there were complaints that thoroughbreds were being intentionally bred with slimmer legs and ankles because they can run faster, not at all safe for the horses. Is this part of the problem or THE problem? 

I also wonder about irregularities in the tracks themselves that at one time weren't as hazardous for horses with more sturdy ankles and legs.

Trusted Contributor

There are different issues at play here. A horse having a heart attack while jogging happens just like it does with people. Horses breaking down on the track is another issue.

Not sure what might be wrong with the surface out there. I've read lots of different opinions on it but no consensus. I do know that a horse that won a race in NY this weekend will be skipping the Breeders' Cup out there and one of the reasons given was they were unsure or the track. The other reason is they want to go slow with the horse so there are people out there who care about the animals.

It's interesting that there's such a big difference in breeds. Standardbreds tend to race every week but they have a different conformation. I've always wondered if running more often helps build bone too like in people.

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Very depressing.........

That's a reason why I don't watch horse racing on TV.

Way too stressful, worrying about the possible horses' injuries and/or possible death.

I've had an idea for years:

As strange as it sounds, why not race the horses the same way track contestants run their races?

The fastest horse wins, same as with humans.

Each horse is timed as soon as it reaches the designated distance. 

The outside rim track horse exits as soon as it reaches the 'finish line' distance, then the next horse on it's track, then the next one, and so on and so on.

Does this make any sense?

If not, please ignore.

What makes more sense is for humans to evolve beyond wanting to watch animals do tricks or tasks or competitionssimply for amusement.

It is barbaric. 

Honored Contributor

Both horse racing and dog racing should be outlawed😡