Trusted Contributor

$300 for a fan with a heater???

I see Dyson calls it an "air multiplier". what the heck??? Who is going to spend $300 on a portable heater?? It's the TSV.

Am I missing something?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: $300 for a fan with a heater???

Seems like a lot of money for a fancy space heater. If you keep it on all night here where its really cold, your electric bill will be enormous. I understand blowing hot air around, but this seems too extravagent.

Valued Contributor

Yep, I don't get it. Like I said in another thread, there are other products that are just as good for much, much less money. Maybe we are missing something about it{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

I bought a Heat Pump/AC for our Patio Room for $535, installed. And this actually heats the air in the winter to whatever temp we decide to set the thermostat. Same with the summer AC. Set it on a certain temperature and it has a compressor that cools this almost 300sq.ft, outside room, to whatever number we choose of the Thermostat.

Dyson, like many other electronic companies, are trying to use their name to cash in on things that are not make for extreme weather conditions like we have here in Nebraska. This is especially true for our patio room that has 3 outside walls which are all glass, thus little to insulate as opposed to drywall, and no product like this Dyson gadget will come even close to doing the job out there.

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

dyson makes vaccuums
Valued Contributor

On 11/1/2014 hckynut said:

I bought a Heat Pump/AC for our Patio Room for $535, installed. And this actually heats the air in the winter to whatever temp we decide to set the thermostat. Same with the summer AC. Set it on a certain temperature and it has a compressor that cools this almost 300sq.ft, outside room, to whatever number we choose of the Thermostat.

Dyson, like many other electronic companies, are trying to use their name to cash in on things that are not make for extreme weather conditions like we have here in Nebraska. This is especially true for our patio room that has 3 outside walls which are all glass, thus little to insulate as opposed to drywall, and no product like this Dyson gadget will come even close to doing the job out there.

And this thing is a heater/fan, no AC at all, it just blows around the air like any other fan in the summer.

Trusted Contributor

ITA with all of you. It just makes no sense (or cents!).

John, especially with your example of getting something with a thermostat that has heat AND AC for $535 installed.

I wonder how the hosts can keep a straight face. I'd love to hear the callers justify the cost of the thing. But I have no patience to sit and listen to the whole presentation.

Honored Contributor

I know someone who has one and it's great. It's a different concept than the average portable heater/fan! Just seeing a picture really show doesn't show great it actually is! Can be used all seasons so no storing issue, is small, quiet and doesn't take up much room. It's not meant to heat an unheated room in areas where it is sub zero with no insulation (although my friend's husband takes it out to the separate garage when working out there and it heats well) but most heaters aren't either!! It has a thermostat and doesn't use much electricity and way less than other larger heaters. It circulates the air so the heat or fan works the entire room. It's not for everyone's need but then again nothing is. I definitely would like one for the bathroom in our summer place. I have gone through so many supposedly good heaters as they don't last long (and have just blown heat in one direction) and I would have to turn the heater on for about 45 minutes for the bathroom to feel warm when it's cold out as the heat only is in one area even with a blower. This has something that circulates the air for both the heater and fan and does heat/cool more area and much faster using less electricity. I have paid anywhere from $50 to $200 for each over the years so have spent way more than the cost of the Dyson - plus all the fans I have gone through. I know the quality of the Dyson vacuums so I would definitely trust buying one.

Super Contributor

I am tempted as I need a small efficient heater for my bathroom... and then I could use it as a fan for cooling in the summer... PLEASE TALK ME OUT OF IT!

Honored Contributor

Same as the "Amish fireplace" heaters and the variations that both QVC and HSN sell. They are 1500W electric heaters with pretty special effects. I understand that people want "pretty" space heaters, but they aren't worth paying double or triple the price to me, vs. a plain heater that looks like a heater. No matter what the hosts claim, they don't heat any better than a heater you can buy in the drugstore or BBB, and they cost as much to use in electricity as any other 1500W appliance run for hours a day.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all