Respected Contributor

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS

It's funny to look back and see the things we once thought were valuable and now they're not.  

I have lots of L baskets.  I loved the holiday ones and used to put them out as decorations.  I recently found the Easter baskets that my own children used.  Now I'm going to give them to my son's friend who has a toddler and a 4 yr old.  These baskets held up during many egg hunts over the years and I know they'll survive the next generation of bumps and bruises.  

I've also given away the Beatrix Potter baby and toddler dish sets that my younger son used.  And the utensil sets, too.  I have no grandchildren.  It gives me joy to find homes for these pieces where they will be used.

Doing the same with my jewelry little by little (gifting/selling). Even if the recipients decide to sell these 14K pieces and use the $ for something else, that's fine with me. 

Respected Contributor

My grandmother collected Avon Christmas and Mothers Day plates. My mother keeps announcing they’re going to my brother. Good. I don’t want them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am inundated with china/dishes.

There is my wedding china, dishes belonging to my husband's grandmother (from 1921) and mother, my grandmother (some are marked as made in Prussia) and my mother.  Couple all of that with dishes I had along the way and there is a ton.

I sold a number of pieces to Replacements and eBay.  My children do not want any of them, unfortunately.  I always figured I was holding the dishes for them.

We recently redid our will and I added that my Belleek and Waterford were to go to my granddaughters.  That way, they have to take it!  Hopefully, they will hang on to some of it but if they wish to sell it, so be it.

“You have to accept whatever comes, and the only important thing is that you meet it with the best you have to give.”- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nrm wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  I think your article has been edited to delete the list that you wrote. I'm not able to read it on my iPhone or iPad. Wish I could. 

@nrm 

To assist your search, the article was in an email from Cheapism dot com.  

Esteemed Contributor

My mom spent years, and traveled all over the Midwest, collecting antique and very expensive cut glass. My father now has all of it in hutches and curio cabinets all thru his house and basement. He wants to get rid of it, but it's now worthless. I know. I've been trying to sell it for years.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt