Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,440
Registered: ‎05-31-2022

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS

[ Edited ]

I am so glad I never seriously collected anything on the list. 
I have seen many of them at garage and estate sales for a dollar or two. I would find a way to repurpose them rather than just taking a few pennies for them. I would never throw out baskets since they are useful. I would fill them with nice things and donate to a silent auction.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,356
Registered: ‎06-10-2015

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS

Never bought a "collectibles" that I didn't love and use.  Never for profit, selling pr passing down. I have used my Longaberger baskets for many years to organize my pantry, toys, fruit, yarns, art supplies, just about anything you can think of.  I have different size's and shapes.  Great containers.

 

Waterford Santa's, stuff like that.  All have brought me great pleasure every day over many many years.  Told my kids when the time comes, take what you want and dispose the rest as quick and easy as you can.  Whatever I spent was well worth my enjoyment.  

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,527
Registered: ‎06-19-2010

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS

My mother collected Beanie Babies and Hallmark Ornaments. When she passed away I sold the Beanie Babies for $1.00 each. I cried when I was boxing them up over all the money she wasted on them. The Hallmark ornaments I used for a few years and gave 95% of them away to a local animal shelter. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,551
Registered: ‎06-13-2011

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44   Thank you so much for posting this link.  It was very interesting.  I wasn't surprised that most of these collectibles aren't worth much on the market today.  

 

My husband has often said that he wishes he hadn't given away his comic book collection from when he was a kid but after reading this article I doubt that he had any that would have been very valuable.  Most of them were probably a little ragged from being well read.  

 

I often wish that I still had a few items from my childhood and teen years.  Not because they were valuable but because they were unique.  

 

I remember my parents buying me a hair dryer that sat on the table and had a swivel hood that went over your head and dried your hair after you set it in brush rollers. It was just like the hair dryers in a salon.   I had it for quite a few years and then decided that I would probably never use brush rollers again once I started using a curling iron.  I donated it to a thrift store.  

 

I've now started using velcro rollers again to avoid using so much heat on my hair.  I looked into buying another hooded dryer and the reviews on them now are pathetic. They are made so cheaply that the hood just falls down on your head. I wouldn't even consider buying one now.  Mine was so sturdy and well made that I could kick myself for ever getting rid of it.

 

I have yet to find anything that is even remotely as well made as items from the 60's and 70's.  Items made in the USA from before the 60's may not be worth anything from a monetary point of view but the quality is usually outstanding.

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,406
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS


@Snowpuppy wrote:

I'm now thankfull for the days when I was too poor to "invest" in kitsch. 😁

 

I had a neighbor that said her collection of some 300 Longaberger baskets was part of her retirement plan. And pitied me.

 

Karma


 

I have never heard of Longaberger.  How can someone collect 300 baskets and think it's an ivestment?  I just read they originated in 1973, so they are not even antiques...

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,491
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS


@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I'm now thankfull for the days when I was too poor to "invest" in kitsch. 😁

 

I had a neighbor that said her collection of some 300 Longaberger baskets was part of her retirement plan. And pitied me.

 

Karma


 

I have never heard of Longaberger.  How can someone collect 300 baskets and think it's an ivestment?  I just read they originated in 1973, so they are not even antiques...


Longaberger's home was Columbus, Ohio. My neighbor collected and hosted home parties in the '90s.  Maybe they were a regional thing?   I thought they were good quality and pricey with all the accessories. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,995
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS


@Snowpuppy wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I'm now thankfull for the days when I was too poor to "invest" in kitsch. 😁

 

I had a neighbor that said her collection of some 300 Longaberger baskets was part of her retirement plan. And pitied me.

 

Karma


 

I have never heard of Longaberger.  How can someone collect 300 baskets and think it's an ivestment?  I just read they originated in 1973, so they are not even antiques...


Longaberger's home was Columbus, Ohio. My neighbor collected and hosted home parties in the '90s.  Maybe they were a regional thing?   I thought they were good quality and pricey with all the accessories. 



Went to several Longaberger parties. and of course bought baskets.

My neighbor died last year and the kids were cleaning out the house. They asked if we wanted anything. We took 2 trash cans. I noticed they had one trash can filled with Longaberger baskets.

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,440
Registered: ‎05-31-2022

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS

I have to wonder in this disposable world we now live in if anything is worth collecting now, other than jewels and gold. Bad investment to spend big money on anything if it is only worth a dollar in just a few years. If you love something and buy it for yourself, great. Buying anything expecting it will grow in value is something I would never do nowadays.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,752
Registered: ‎10-23-2011

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS


@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I'm now thankfull for the days when I was too poor to "invest" in kitsch. 😁

 

I had a neighbor that said her collection of some 300 Longaberger baskets was part of her retirement plan. And pitied me.

 

Karma


 

I have never heard of Longaberger.  How can someone collect 300 baskets and think it's an ivestment?  I just read they originated in 1973, so they are not even antiques...


Longaberger was famous for convincing buyers these baskets were going to be SO VALUABLE one day that they could be a big part of your retirement. I had an Aunt in Ohio that totally "bought" into that fantasy.

 

I never believed that but found out just how people were conned, as far as investment purposes. 

 

I had some of the originals with the original finish...sort of a coppery tone. Then they came out with the natural ones and I liked those much better. 

 

I boxed up the originals and sent them to Longaberger headquarters to be auctioned. That's when I learned what a bill of goods we had been sold. 

 

I think I got about 1/3 of what they were supposedly worth. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 39,195
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS


@Trailrun23 wrote:

I have to wonder in this disposable world we now live in if anything is worth collecting now, other than jewels and gold. Bad investment to spend big money on anything if it is only worth a dollar in just a few years. If you love something and buy it for yourself, great. Buying anything expecting it will grow in value is something I would never do nowadays.


@Trailrun23 

 

I remember when I was younger there seemed to be an endless stream of late night TV commercials for commemorative plates.  They just looked like tacky dust magnets, but I guess it was a big thing for a while.